PDA

View Full Version : Sulfer water

RustyNut
01-04-2006, 03:21 PM
OK this is rather odd, but it may have to do with the warm spell and subsequent melting going on but suddenly my well water has a STRONG sulfer smell to it! We always have had sulfer in the water, but this past couple weeks it has been the worst I can remember in the 7 years we have lived here. I also noticed that for some reason nitrates are higher than normal at about 20ppm rather than the 10ppm normally....

I can handle the nitrates somewhat but is there anything I should worry about with the sulfer? I've smelled worse in tap water (our area is noted for sulfer) but I've never had to deal with it before...

I already have a house filter, but it is only a single cartridge filter.... maybe I should upgrade to one of those double or triple cartridge filters? Or it there nothing to worry about?

Glaive
01-05-2006, 10:32 AM
Really comes down to your fish honestly. Have they had any adverse reactions?

Also have your tap water parameters changed? Mostly concerned with pH and KH.

Heyguy74
01-05-2006, 12:36 PM
Maybe your filter has to be replaced. It happened to my parents. They had to add another filter when the sulfer smell got too strong. Chances are you'll have to add a water softner to it. Their iron content was high also. Good Luck

RustyNut
01-05-2006, 03:34 PM
Glaive, the PH and KH are within "normal" ranges for my well, but the GH is up about 40ppm....the fish don't seem to mind but my fish room smells like rotten eggs! I do mind....

HeyGuy, adding a water softener kind of defeats the purpose a little doesn't it? My filter is the old single cartridge style, and while the cartridge is fresh, a double setup might be better. I do have a water softener, but I have water before it gets to the softener plumbed into the room...

Glaive
01-06-2006, 10:59 AM
The softener doesn't help with sulfur odors.

Might help (http://www.excelwater.com/eng/b2c/h2s.php?WL_Session=3639e3c194488891bc309b7861e4ab0 0)

buttrfli
01-07-2006, 09:41 AM
Well I believe there are two types of sulfur, so dont know if this is relevant. We have sulfur bacteria in our well and we treat our water with either chlorine or hydrogen peroxide. For us the peroxide seems to work better. We have two filters, a sediment filter and a filter that removes the chlorine/hp from the treated water. If everything is working right the water comes out perfect for the fish. Sometimes we still get the stinky water. I have used it before with the fish and they are ok. But I try not to. However, it may be the other sulfur, not the rotten egg sulfur. You may want to take a water sample to a local water authority and have it tested for e coli and coliform bacteria. The suggestion about the filter is probably on target too. We had to have ours replaced when we moved in. Call culligan or whoever put in your system and have them check it out.

Here is an interesting article http://www.hhs.state.ne.us/enh/feswater.htm