PDA

View Full Version : will this dude ever stop asking questions

seano
12-15-2005, 10:12 AM
I have yet another question I hope I am putting these in the right place and sorry in advance for being a bother...I didnt cycle my tanks properly I guess because there is amonia present like 1.2 ppm in all three that have been going for two months or so--and in the brand new largest tank. My plan is to move all my fish to the big tank, since none of the other tanks are cycled should I just put them all in the big uncycled tank together since the amonia is the same (as well as nitrites 0 ph 7.8. They would have to live through the cycle either way right as long as i do some frequent water changes the amonia and nitrite spike wont have as large an impact? One day I will understand all of this and stop asking dumb questions I assure you . Thanks any help would be greatly appreciated

NEO_72
12-15-2005, 11:02 AM
Hi there Seano,

I briefly saw one of your other posts - mentioning you still have ammonia....

Well, to try and help you out, could you please list soem details?

-how many tanks, sizes, what fish in each and their sizes
-is your amm. test kit old?
- pls test your tap for amm. - do you get a reading?
-do you have a nitrite kit? Did you do any testing during the 2 months?
-your water change schedule

You set all the tanks up two months ago?

NEO_72
12-15-2005, 11:07 AM
BTW - just read your other post in this same forum - to keep in mind for next time, you could just have added this post as a reply there to keep the info consolidated. I see CHC is helping you too.

seano
12-15-2005, 11:26 AM
ok so I have a brand new 50 gallon just set up two -ish days ago with nothing in it-one 29 gallon with a male red zebra and an electric blue johanni or a chipokae I dont know what he is - a 20 gallon divided with a female red zebra and another unidentified electric blue johanni or chipokae and finally a 16 gal with one female convict--the convict is 1.5 " the male zebra is 3" female zebra 2" the chipokae/johanni one 2" one 1.5"(I bought the big tank after realising the ones I have are too small. Smaller tanks have been going for roughly two months I tested them all through what i thought was the cycle. They seemed to go throught the cycle except I dont have a nitrate test kit so when the nitrite levels spiked then started dropping I assumed the nitrate would come next and did weekly water changes of about 30-40%to get rid of the assumed nitrate. I have done more frequent water changes about every three days now since finding the amonia-- just tested my tap water and it showed 0.6 ppm of amonia or less (hard to tell matching colours sometimes) also I bought the test kit for amonia about when i set up the tanks so like two months ago. Thanks for helping by the way I really like the fish I have and would hate to lose any because of my lack of knowledge.

seano
12-15-2005, 11:29 AM
I forgot to mention the four female zebras I have paid for but not brought home yet, I guess this isnt relevant to my situation since they arent here yet just wanted to add that i am planning on adding more females once my tank problems sort out.

NEO_72
12-15-2005, 12:09 PM
Well, first off I would not mix your convict with the africans. You could keep it (and get it a mate) in the 29. As to the compatibility of all your africans - well, I only keep new world cichlids, so you better get some advice on mixing them and make sure you aren't lined up for any trouble.

Anyway, if you're getting ammonia out of the tap, you have a problem. We tolerate ammonia much better than fish, so having trace amounts is not a concern to the water company. You will have to get a good water conditioner and treat the water you use. Your fish would suffer from having a residual 1.2 ppm. I would also contact your water company (mine sent me a complete annual analysis, although it took a few phone calls to connect with the right department) and ask them for them for a report on your water parameters - and even ask them if the ammonia level is seasonal, etc.

For now, let's see if any other members have had a tap water amm. problem. I would hold off stocking the new tank until you can sort this out. (PS - I did a google search on 'ammonia in tap water' - you'll find many posts on fish forums about this very thing, and how they handled it)

When you do stock the new tank, whether you add them all in at once is again a matter for experienced african keepers to advise on. The aggression levels of your fish will determine if you will be unable to follow the common method of introducing a few new fish every few weeks once the cycle is maintained (sometimes you have to add a bunch at once, or add them in reverse order of aggression). Regardless, make sure to seed the new tank with gravel and filter media from your established tanks to speed up the cycle on the 50.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

seano
12-15-2005, 02:08 PM
Oh you were totally helpful no worries. As it turns out we have no amonia in the tap water here I am just crazy and cant seem to clean the test tube properly from one test to another lol. As for compatibility I am not too worried, when I bought my tank from my lfs they ordered an xtra by mistake so I will be bringing that 50 gal home with me next time pay day rolls around/ so I should be able to spread the fish out---I just have one more question, I know some ppl may not like this idea but I am not too attached to my convict so I was thinking of starting the cycle with that little dude and just changing the filter from the cons tank to the 50 gal along with some seeded substrate. This will give me one brand new whisper 30-60 and a seeded aqua tech 20-40 as well as seeded gravel for the 50 gallon. I hope this is ok if not someone will tell me I am sure. Thanks so much for all the info I really appreciate the help.

seano
12-15-2005, 02:16 PM
Btw neo thanks for helping out another Canadian I am in Niagara Falls not too far away indeed,

NEO_72
12-15-2005, 02:20 PM
Let's go back to the ammonia reading in your 3 tanks - I think you should try and resolve that issue. Is it testing error, or genuine? Bacause it would indicate that your bio filtration has been disrupted. Strange that it would indicate on all your tanks though.

If you are cycled, then yes you can use the con and his filter and gravel to jump start the new tank. Keep in mind that beneficial bacteria develop in relation to the load, so the finished cycle on one small con won't support all your fish. That's why a patient and meaningful plan to add all your fish together is important. Again, I don't know the temperments of your fish. I'd say, the lot of them being so small, that you could throw them all in at once (without the con - if you're not fond of him, find hima good home). Tanks cycle quickly when seeded. But I would post this in the african section to get a second opinion.

Niagra falls eh? Cool! Welcome to the forums. Great people here.

EDIT - didn't notice you didn't list the sizes of those first three - definitely get a stocking plan for the order in which to add them :ok:

seano
12-15-2005, 05:14 PM
i am guessing it was all wrong and i have wasted your time,i have a whole lot of confidence in myself lol, if that is the case I apologise, I am soaking the test tubes right now to make sure everything is nice and clean to test again and will update when I have some results.

seano
12-15-2005, 06:23 PM
I just finished testing all the water and I was pretty wrong. The 20 gal and 16 gal had 0 and 0 for amonia and nitrites. I must not have cleaned the tubes enough after the first test. The first tank i tested however last time and this time has 0.6ppm for amonia and 0.1mg/l for nitrites> this is the 29 gal by the way. I only have two corner filters running in this tank and they arent equipped with a biological filter I dont think ( just floss and charcoal) so I added a nice thick sponge/scouring pad type thing to the very bottom of each. The 50 gal had 0.1 mg/l for nitrite and 0.6 amonia. For sure I cleaned the test kits between so these are the right measurements. So the 50 gal is starting up the cycle I would assume, I will just be patient and wait.

RustyNut
12-15-2005, 06:57 PM
Niagara falls eh? I am originally from Buffalo and still commute back there for the parents every now and then....

Have you ever been to Markheim's in amherst?

seano
12-16-2005, 04:39 AM
nah i never have,ive been to Buffalo a bunch of times to see family, I mostly stay on the Canadian side tho, my money isnt worth enough over there in the US lol

NEO_72
12-16-2005, 06:50 AM
Keep us posted Seano.

seano
12-16-2005, 09:32 AM
Will do. I had no idea this was so involved! At least my fish will be happy when this is all over and done.

NEO_72
12-16-2005, 09:36 AM
We're told to take care of the water, and the water will take care of the fish....a good point to remember when we keep our friends in such a small, closed body of water.

seano
12-16-2005, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the info