PDA

View Full Version : Grey water--------->

Dovii
03-23-2003, 07:00 PM
Hi all!!!

Does anyone know why the water in my 400 ltr tank is always grey? I have Eheim proffessional II and i feel like it isnt workiing right.

Me­ fyrirfram ■÷kk Gu­mundur helgi Halldˇrsson.:confused: :mad: :confused: :mad:

ReesaPie
03-23-2003, 09:19 PM
The only thing i could think of is whatever carbon you're useing in you're filtration wasn't rinsed throughly before putting it in. Other then that, i have no idea :)

Dovii
03-24-2003, 01:42 AM
What kind of a filters do you all have ?

WorldNation
03-24-2003, 02:42 AM
2 AC 500's

3 powerheads with sponge filter atatchments on all 3.

Dovii
03-24-2003, 09:44 AM
Powerhead doesn't filter water right? Isn't just 2 get the water on the move ??? What is sponge filter ???

What filters do u think is the best of the best ???;)

fOx
03-24-2003, 10:16 AM
Dovii... what kind of filters are you using? You do have something filtering the water on your aquarium don't you? Not to sound stupid, but if you read this thread it almost sounds like you don't have any filters on your tank, or you are fishing around for info. on which ones you should buy?

Tell us what you have in your tank and maybe we can help a little better...

fOx

Dovii
03-24-2003, 02:05 PM
Fox....if YOU read the thread again you will see that i have Eheim Pro...And yes im looking 4 some info about how many filters u all have and what kind.

I have 6 salvini's, 1 jack dempsey, 1 labeo bicolor, 2 ancisters( golden ) and 2 pike's. But i really want 2 change the tank into community and have some angels and stuff:)

fOx
03-24-2003, 04:38 PM
My bad... on some days I would swear I have a mental illness!

Since you asked, I have 2 Fluval 204's, 2 aquaclear powerheads w/scrubbers and 1 fluval 204 in tank fliter on my 55 gallon...

fOx

Rudy
03-24-2003, 04:54 PM
400 liters so that is what. 125 gallons?

Anyway on my 187 I have 3 ac 500 a fluid bed filter, and 2 powerheads for movement, no prefilter. All my tanks vary from 8-12 times filtration with a powerhead just to get rid of some of the crap.

I am not one to overfilter though. I am pretty diligent with water changes and keeping my tanks looking half decent so I don't worry about it to much.

Personally I think that if your tank is not filtered enough you will know it really quickly so if you are comfortable with your filtration and your fish are happy then leave it.

I know a guys who has a a fluval 404 and 2 ac 500 and 2 802 powerheads in he 55 wide. That is just plain crazy I think as your fish need to be used to white water to survive the the current in that tank.

Dovii
03-24-2003, 06:51 PM
Image Deleted: Please do not post copyrighted photos without the owner's permission.
Is this the filter u all have? I must get one! so many have filters like that. Does this filter return the water well filtered? Is this a noicie filter ?(loud)

Does it matter much to have 2-3 powerheads ???

Rudy
03-25-2003, 09:24 AM
Ac in my opinion is the best filter period. There are many comparible, othe probably even a bit better operating however with 2 sponges in an ac 500 it is tough competition. The warranty on them also impresses me, being that I have just found out at Petsmart they give you a new one when your old one starts to make noise!! It is great.

The only problem with them is that when you get sand in the impellor they get pretty tedious to clean, and start making a buzzing noise that is enough to make someone nuts. (but I hate noisey filters.

Used to use Canisters, but I got really sick of cleaning them and getting water all over the carpet. I used Marineland magnums as they seem to be very well priced, however I shortly found out there was a reason for that.

Really depends on what you are keeping I guess and how your tank is set up. I use sand and keep fish with a large waste load so to squeeze sponges once a week is not a big deal. To take apart a canister and swear at it for an hour every week. My wife would not like me to much.

As for the powerheads, go for it. Water movement will keep you from doing poop detail more than once a week.

Dovii
03-25-2003, 10:19 AM
Do i connect UGF( under ground filter) with the powerheads???

Rudy
03-25-2003, 10:25 AM
That would depend on what fish you are going to put in there. Cichlids I would say no as they dig and make UGF pretty well non effective unless you were to cover it as I know some members do.

Tropicals like you said you wanted to go for then do it.

merlyn2221
03-27-2003, 09:13 PM
Dovii: I have a 55 gallon filtered by an Emperor double bio-wheel and a Fluval 304. Both are very easy to clean. On my 120 gallon I have an AC 500 and a Fluval 404. I will be putting on some power heads with prefilters to help keep water clean too.

I do not care for Magnum canister filters as I have had nothing but leaks with them, and so have most of the people I know.

I don't know where you buy your supplies in Iceland (that is where you are right?), but here is a link to a place that has tons of different filters, including your Eheim (which I also like, but it was too expensive for me at the time) at good prices.
Here is the link:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/shop.cfm?siteid=6

chc
03-29-2003, 09:04 AM
Sounds to me that your tank has not cycled properly or the biological filtration has been disturbed by too much cleaning, etc. Grey water often is the result of a bacterial bloom.

Is your tank new? Have you cleaned the filter media recently? Have you tested the water quality lately to see if the nitrogen cycle has been disturbed?

With respect to the "best" filters, most operate well if maintained properly. It is the ease of maintenance that is the greatest selling point of most brands. Emperors are great power filters; the best IMO/IME. Replacing media in them is very easy (but can get expensive; I find it best to use alternative media wherever possible). The also have outstanding biological filtration capabilities due to the exposed bio-wheel.

Aquaclears are also good, but I have found them to be less flexible in operation that Emperors and of less biological capability. Still, they have the benefit of cheap operation as you can reuse their filter media (i.e. sponge). I do still have one in operation on one of my tanks (primarily for mechanical filtration).

I'd stay away from Tetra Tec. I've had consistently bad experiences with them.