PDA

View Full Version : I finally got a bigger tank! Need suggestions....

angelhf13
03-21-2003, 08:52 PM
Im so excited!! I've been wanting a bigger tank for sooo long! I've had 2 29's for a long time. Now I have a third....55 gallon. Im not sure if I have appropriate filtration for the 55 (Ive never had a tank larger than the 29) I had a tight budget, so here's what I have.....an aqua clear 200 (cheaper than a whisper, but seems to have a better flow) a Maxi Jet 400 undergravel on one end, and an air stone under gravel on the other end of the tank. I plan on replacing the air stone under gravel with another maxi jet though. And I have a 200 watt heater. I dont plan on stocking this tank too full....I have 8 mbuna that I plan to move to this tank, and one 7 inch placo. I do water changes every week (30 percent) and vaccuum about once a month. So, do ya think it'll be ok? or should I consider trying to squeeze more out of my budget for better filtration? Also, with a tank this size, how long should I let it cycle before I put the fish in? I filled it up with about 60% fresh water, and 40% water from my other established tanks.

WorldNation
03-22-2003, 12:31 AM
get a second ac 200 and u'll be set, or jsut one ac 500(40 bux at big als)

SGypsyMermaid
03-22-2003, 02:55 AM
i second the motion for the ac five hundred.

angelhf13
03-22-2003, 01:59 PM
Thanks guys.....so how long before I can put fish in? Is a week long enough?

matt1066
03-22-2003, 05:52 PM
AC 500, $34 drs foster/smith-or maybe go with a Emperor 400. If you add some of your existing filter media from your other tanks ie. gravel, filter floss, whatever-you could essentially start adding fish slowly right-away. Just keep an eye on the ammonia/nitrite.

Especially if you are running a UGF, just add gravel @2 cups from your existing tanks. That will get your nitogen cycle going in no time.

Regards,

Matt

Mbuniac
04-03-2003, 03:01 AM
Angel,
Read up on the nitrogen cycle. If you want to do it without fish go to malawicichlids.com (FAQ's) You can use pure ammonia to start the cycle. Eventually bacteria will form that converts the ammonia to nitrites and then more bacteria will convert the nitrite to nitrates. Then a 50% water change and you're good to go.
Don't know what kind of fish you intend to have in the tank, but I suspect you will find like myself and many others that most africans especially mbuna dig so much as to make you UGF ineffective and potentially dangerous. I finally took all of mine out, now they can dig to the hearts content IMHO.
LOL, Sam

surfdude660
04-03-2003, 05:00 PM
I would take both ugf's out, and add an emperor 400 to the existing ac200, they are only $40 at bigalsonline.com. That is about half of retail!!!! :dance: :D :wink:

Overawed
04-03-2003, 10:19 PM
ditto what surfdude says

Congrats on the tank :dance:

articles on fishless cycling:
Here (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/faustus/nicoldaquaria/fishless.htm)

and

here (http://www.aaquaria.com/aquamag/cycle2.html)

it really works well, only takes about 3 weeks, which will allow enough time for the sand to settle

:wink:

if you use sand that is.

angelhf13
04-04-2003, 09:49 PM
Well, everything is up and running! I had all 8 of my adult mbuna in the new tank, and all has been well, except I had to remove one of them today. My male Saulosi...he's such a meanie!! He's always been "king" but he's gotten really bad since he was moved, so I took him out and put him in my "nursery" tank since I have no fry in there at the moment. He's been chasing and rubbing so much, he's cut himself all up. So I figured I'd isolate him for awhile so he can heal up, and to give the others a break.

As far as mbuna and UGF's go....I've never had a problem with my mbuna digging that much. I have lots and lots of rock work in all of my tanks....plenty of caves, so I think that keeps them from digging so much. It does make it a pain to clean the gravel though!! Oh well, as long as the fish are happy, I can deal with the work!:)

Im still using the same filtration I started with at this point, but I think I will get one more AC 200 soon.

Now my next task is figuring out what Im going to do with the
20+ fry I have in my 29 !! They are fine in there for now..(half of them only an inch long, and the other half only about 3 or 4 weeks old). I guess it'll be time for another tank again soon!!!
:D

jonhomemade
04-07-2003, 12:01 PM
I would have to agree to get rid of the ugfs and add an emperor 400. Then you can take out your gravel and add agronite instead. (since you mentioned fry i am guessing that you are breeding and the agronite helps keep the ph at 8.0 or above) I would have to say that having the ph right is one of the biggest factors in breeding.

angelhf13
04-07-2003, 07:16 PM
Thankfully, the one thing I never have to worry about too much is the ph. it comes out of the tap at 8.2 and I do partial water changes every 10 to 14 days. The fry were totally unexpected, but thankfully not hybrid.....they came from my electric yellows that happened to be the only 2 fish in that tank. I never intended on breeding, but since I knew these guys weren't hybrid, I decided to try my luck at saving them. Every one of them survived and are developing into healthy happy little fish, thanks to all the help I've gotten here! :)

I cant make up my mind which one I like best.......:dance:
or................................................ ............................:drink:

They both kinda reminded me of myself this passed weekend!!:lol: :rolleyes: