PDA

View Full Version : How to move a big tank?

gonefishin
11-15-2005, 06:42 PM
So, we've decided to remodel the room that my 110g display mbuna tank is in. The remodel includes movin the tank to the other side of the rooom, but it must come completely out first, because we are getting new carpet.

Since, I have to break the tank down to move it, I'm also going to take the oppurtunity to completely redecorate the tank....from rock substrate with all fake petsmart decorations that it was originally setup with...to sand substrate that will have eggcrate at the bottom as well an undergravel jet system and a mountain of natural rock as decoration...

Here's my plans, and I'm looking for confirmation that this will all work...I'm going to get a couple big "rubbermaid" storage tubs to save the majority of my water and put the fish in (~35 mbuna of varying sizes), have the aquaclear 500 running in one tub, the magnum 350 running in the other, and 1 of the 2 powerfilters w/sponge in both tubs. Empty the tank completely, get rid of substrate and decorations, build my network of undergravel jets and place in tank, fit the eggcrate around it, add sand, build mountain of rock decorations, add water and fish outta tubs with some clean water, hook filters back up and PRAY!

All that, and my question is...will this work ok? I should be fine to leave my fish in the tubs for a couple days if needed, because they will have their water and established filters, correct? Tubs will obviously be climate controlled.

Rockriverfish
11-15-2005, 08:03 PM
Sounds like a big project and a solid plan. I would add some of those old decorations in the tubs to provide some hiding spaces. I like to dump a bunch of plastic plants in the tubs whenever I do a similar project. Also, maybe keep the tubs partially covered. The reduced light should keep them calmer and avoid jumping. Make sure there is adequate oxygen exchange since the surface area of the tubs may be much less than the tank.

Cycling shouldn't be too much of a problem since you will have your established filters, but keep a close eye on the water parameters for a few weeks. A good amount of a tanks beneficial bacteria live on/in the decorations/gravel. By removing these, you may have a small spike in Ammonia & Nitrite levels until the new system can balance itself out. You may get a small bacterial bloom as the tank goes through a mini-cycle, but this shouldn't be nearly as bad as when starting from scratch.

Good Luck

gonefishin
11-15-2005, 08:14 PM
Thats something that I had wondered about...I was thinking of keeping some of the rock stubstrate and putting it in the tubs as well as the decorations...then I could put the decorations back in the tank in an "ugly" way for a while...maybe even put the rocks back in the tank in some sort of "bag" until the bacteria grows on the new stuff....

cichgirl
11-16-2005, 08:24 AM
Sounds like it should work. I'd temporarily add the old decorations back too. You should throw a bunch of substrate from the tubs into a stocking or media bag in your filters too when you set up the redone tank. Some of your bacteria in your filters may die off in a couple of days due to decreased bioload in the tubs. I think reintroducing as much as possible even if only for a couple of weeks may help keep your water healthier.

blakrain
11-16-2005, 04:32 PM
If you have old grabel, you could put it in a panty hose and place it in the tank for a few days (I tried that as I had read somewhere it works) and it worked out well

crazyfishlady
11-16-2005, 05:17 PM
Won't the undergravel jets spray the sand all over the tank ?

punkypuffer
11-16-2005, 07:11 PM
just make sure the rubbermaid bins are sturdy. they easily bow and break with all of the water pressure (personal experience)

gonefishin
11-16-2005, 07:55 PM
According to the article tha tI read which can be found here (http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ug_jets.php) ... these can be used with gravel and sand.

"Dozens of people have used UGJ in their aquariums with great results. What's so neat about UGJ is that they are highly customizable. People have used them with gravel and sand."