PDA

View Full Version : transportaion ???

peanut6141
11-15-2005, 01:54 AM
I'm getting ready to move and have an adult convict and a 12" red oscar the trip is going to be 4-5 hours. I have no clue on how to transport them with out stressing them out too much. Any advice is appreciated.

Thank You
Peanut6141

cichgirl
11-15-2005, 07:38 AM
Use 2 coolers, one for each of them. Bring a few gallons of your water to change out half way through the trip. They'll come through like champs.

Good luck!

chc
11-15-2005, 07:40 AM
Change most of the tank water the day before the move. On the day of, put each fish in its own 5 gallon bucket of tank water. Put lids on the buckets with just a few holes in the top. You can use battery powered air pumps (sold for live bait at tackle shops) to keep the water well oxygenated. Make sure the temperature stays close to the same (don't let the buckets sit in a cold or hot car..... make sure it's climate controlled). Keep everything nice and dark (dark colored bucket, lid, etc.).

Don't worry about bagging the fish if they will be with you the entire time. The bucket will allow more O2 transfer.

Oh yeah......... don't feed the fish for at least two days before the move (that will minimize the waste load in the bucket; there will be no filtration in there, so you don't want to push it).

RustyNut
11-15-2005, 09:42 AM
I transported my entire fish room from Buffalo to Utica which is about a 3.5 hour drive. I did everything CHC stated to do except I didn't use air pumps. My buckets/coolers were white.... everything was in a U-haul trailer with no temp control, but it was during the summer months....

when I got to my new place I scrubbed the bathtub down well with a scrubber and bleach, filled it, drained it and placed all my fish in it with all the water I had brought (including two 15g containers of tank water) which filled the tub about halfway... I then added air stones and some fresh water from the tap the same temp and proceeded to setup my tanks.... I had not a single loss!

Water temp had fallen from my standard 79F to 73F from the time I started to the time I could begin adding my first fish.... I set the tank temps at 74F (visitherms are great) and increased the tanks to 79F over the course of the next week 1 degree per day.

If its cold weather where you are, you can get heatpacks and place them in zip-lock bags they will keep your fish warm.

Now that I think of it, I used 5gal buckets (with covers) and cheapo styrofoam coolers (no bags just water in them) and put a small amount of amquel in each.

I lost NO fish! I transported over 100 fish and 27 tanks from 20g to 75g this way.

It was pretty funny looking at all those fish in the tub!!! ( was tempted to join them LOL!)

NEO_72
11-15-2005, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by RustyNut

It was pretty funny looking at all those fish in the tub!!! ( was tempted to join them LOL!)

We're all friends here - we KNOW you joined them at least once! :D

Live the dream! I'd love a swim-in tank:razz:

cichgirl
11-15-2005, 12:59 PM
^^^ Soon enough I'll have that big moat around my house.

NEO_72
11-15-2005, 01:17 PM
Hmmm - we could have a crocodile forum....

cichgirl
11-15-2005, 01:35 PM
I don't want things in my moat that are going to eat me while I'm snorkeling....

NEO_72
11-15-2005, 01:55 PM
Well there's an answer for every forum - for our beloced CF, I would suggest that much success has been attained in the training of crocodiles! Good for keeping the inlaws away ;)