PDA

View Full Version : Seperation anxiety

matt1066
03-16-2003, 09:23 PM
Well, I came home from work the other day and I wanted to do something fish related, but not a water change. So I decided to seperate my Haps from my Mbuna. I have a 125 and a 55. So I figured out that it would be easier to catch the little buggers while the water level was low and all the tank decor was taken out. So thats what I did-attched my Vortex up to the 125 did a thorough cleaning and water change.

I placed all the Mbuna in the 55 and kept the Haps in the 125. I also put a lot of the rock-work from the 125 into the 55, for obvious reasons. Now that I have seperated the two-the Mbuna will not come out of their holes. I rarely see them, and when they see me they retreat. Will this pass or should I do the dither fish thing? Fox i know your feelings on this :lol: , but I have had good results with adding 6 Giant Danios to my 125. I am thinking this is the course to take, unless I can get some other suggestions or insights, you too Fox.

Reagards,

Matt

jonah
03-17-2003, 05:59 AM
I'd wait a few days and see if they come out on their own.

merlyn2221
03-18-2003, 08:36 PM
Hey Matt! I agree with Jonah. Give them at least a week or so. Every time I clean the gravel in the tank and move rocks around, someone gets ticked off at me and doesn't come out for a day or two, except of course at feeding time! :lol:

Some of my fish are very temperamental and their feelings are easily hurt, or they are easily insulted. The other day I laughed at my Red Zebra because he was doing the fin shaking, "I'm king of the tank! Look at me!" when I was feeding them and do you know that little bugger looked right at me and went into his cave without eating. Later I put my hand to the glass, like I usually do when I sit next to the tank, and everyone came over but him. He ate later when my husband fed him, but wouldn't take the food from me. Now just think about that! (These fish are secretly plotting to take over my entire household!) He finally forgave me that night when I dropped in their nightly algae disc snack.

Little brat! :lol:

matt1066
03-22-2003, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the advice.

I put a male albino Eureka red in the tank-he swims all around, that seems to have lessened the fears of my Mbuna. Still a bit skittish though.

Regards,

Matt

matt1066
03-27-2003, 06:23 PM
Just an update. removed my A. eureka red. Mbuna have gotten used to me and now swim about freely . I'll have to get some pics up. Just need the camera and the web know-how to do it.

Regards,

Matt

merlyn2221
03-27-2003, 08:51 PM
:) Glad everything worked out!