PDA

View Full Version : Recurring red algae

fish-eyed-fool
03-16-2003, 06:10 PM
I have a slow-growing red algae in my tank. The chemistry is pretty damn close to ideal, but I still get this algae. It grows on the glass and the slate I have in the tank. There are a few windows nearby. Could it be the natural sunlight during the day?

Info: I have a 44g tank, with a single Jack Dempsey (about 4" long). I have natural gravel and lots of slate (I picked it up on the side of the road on a trip to Vermont several months ago). I had a decent amount of live plants, but I've since removed them.

Any ideas?

surfdude660
03-16-2003, 07:32 PM
Its probably the direct sunlight. If you put the lkive plants back in, they will slow or stop the growth of algae.

chc
03-18-2003, 09:42 PM
Start with floating plants. If you have a hang on power filter, you could pretty much go with anything. Dickweed is one of the fastest growing (it eventually needs thinning) and it sucks the nitrates, etc. out of the water. Hornwort would also work, but the Dempsey might shred it more. Water lettuce is a good floater too.

Hope deep is the gravel bed? Keep it to a minimum (i.e. about 1/2" max.). Ideally, you should just barely cover the bottom.

You obviously have a light and nutrient problem. Can't change the sunlight without moving the tank, but eliminating too many built up nutrients from the gravel, increasing water changes, and adding fast growing (i.e. competing with algae) plants should limit your problem.

Glaive
03-20-2003, 09:20 PM
CHC,

I saw you suggest "dickweed" as a plant and nearly fell off of my chair laughing, then I had to find out if you meant "duckweed", but sure enough it is Spirodela family of plant. Thank you for teaching me a new fact.

I do assume you mean the plant on the following link:
http://waynesword.palomar.edu/imgsppo.htm

Rudy
03-20-2003, 09:28 PM
[quote:4a44d21354]I saw you suggest "dickweed" as a plant and nearly fell off of my chair laughing, then I had to find out if you meant "duckweed", but sure enough it is Spirodela family of plant. Thank you for teaching me a new fact[/quote:4a44d21354]

:rofl:

merlyn2221
03-21-2003, 08:05 PM
My red algae grows because of the high phosphate content in my tapwater, as well as because of the light factor. Have you checked the readings for this? Could be a contributor to the problem.

chc
03-22-2003, 01:31 PM
Actually, I used "dickweed" on purpose in place of "duckweed" due to its ability to become a nuisance (it grows so fast!). Perhaps that is a term not commonly utilized outside my part of the country!

I should probably keep my jokes to myself in the future!

SGypsyMermaid
03-22-2003, 01:34 PM
[quote:8e4830cbdb="chc"]I should probably keep my jokes to myself in the future![/quote:8e4830cbdb]

nahh--keep 'em coming...i cracked up, too! :P