PDA

View Full Version : Query!

TheRevHeat
03-13-2003, 12:00 PM
i was at a nice shop here in kansas recently and spoke to a guy there who seemed to have a good knowledge of fish so i asked a couple questions about african cichlids....he told me in my 45ga tank tha i should have like 15 - 20 africans so they wont be aggressive????

that sounded like alot to me...any info would be great!

fOx
03-13-2003, 12:14 PM
you may be able to get away with 15-20 kennyis/lombardoi, which don't grow any larger than 2.5-3 inches, or some small shell dwellers. But if you start looking into other species that get bigger (and I mean a lot bigger) you can't keep as many.

The problem is, and I really hate some fish stores, how can someone say you can keep 15-20 AFRICAN cichlids in your 45 when they don't even know what you want to keep? :roll: There are three lakes in Africa all with different fish from different species, of different colour, diet, water peramitres, size.... etc.

You could keep four dogs in a small bachelor apartment, assuming they are all chiuauas and not St. Bernards! The fish store should have asked what it is you want to keep in your tank... instead, it sounds like, he went for the big sale and tried to push as many as he reasonably could on you.

Take a look around and decide what fish you would like to have in your tank, then come back and list the fish you would like to keep... we can help you better that way.

good luck

fOx*

TheRevHeat
03-13-2003, 12:54 PM
so far i have one Red Zebra and one african kenyi any suggestions as to what to add.

I was thinkin a livingstoni and a Snowflake(<???) i think thats what it is called maybe a girafe hap

give me some of your suggestions and thanks again!!

HazeGirl
03-13-2003, 12:57 PM
I have 7 juvenile cichlids in my 55 gallon, and I'm thinking that once they get older, I'll have to move a few somewhere else. That is if they get as big as I hope they will :D But the guy I talked to said 6 was a good number. It depends on the size that they will grow to, not the size they are now. And of course compatability, which I leave to the expert fish geeks :lol:
(no offense I'm a wannabe)

fOx
03-13-2003, 01:12 PM
I'm a malawi geek (get it right) :D

As for fish, I am the worst to ask what you should get... you can see my tank in the gallery...

Really, I think you should get whatever you want (as long as you plan properly and take size consideration into account.) You have a good base to start building on, you could add haps, peacocks to your Mbuna. The livingstone is a little boring for me (but that's just me) I went with a Venustus. (hmmmmm sounds like your tank is progressing just like mine. The first fish I got was a kennyi and a zebra :shock: ... keep up the good work).

good luck...

fOx

TheRevHeat
03-13-2003, 01:22 PM
i kind of thought that five or six was a good number thanks for the replies and keep em comin

merlyn2221
03-14-2003, 04:14 PM
I currently have 16 mbuna and one Nimbochromis venustus in my 55g tank. Considering their mature size, some of these guys will easily outgrow this tank, so....I got a bigger tank for them.

In my own experience I would stick with the fish already mentioned so they will not exceed 3-4 inches. Then everyone will be happy.

Just make sure your filters can handle this bioload.

TheRevHeat
03-17-2003, 03:41 PM
i have a penguin 330 and it seems to work great i have had NO problems so far and it was a new tank about a year and a half ago.
I filled it with
2 australian rainbows
2 buenos aires tetras
2 pineapple swordtails
1 paradise blue gourami
3 pictus cats
1 emrald green kory cat
1 golden algea eater
last but def not least now a 7 in High Fin Pleco

All the fish( all but the scavengers ) were to just cycle the tank and the just never died off so i could get cichlids. I gave a few away in order to make room for the cichlids. In short i think the power filter works great!lol

merlyn2221
03-17-2003, 04:58 PM
TheRevHeat: with that list, you might want to consider South American Cichlids instead. The water conditions for Africans are very different than what these types of fish you mentioned require. Tetras are South Americans who usually prefer somewhat acid water in the range of pH 5.8-7. Most Africans require at least pH 8 and above.

You need to carefully consider your choices for this tank. Mbuna may suffer in low pH waters, without the proper salt/mineral/hardness content. These other fish may suffer under African needs.

Something to think about. Maybe post this question under the South American section of this forum and get some opinions there. I am not very knowledgable about them, having only had Oscars in the past.

matt1066
03-17-2003, 05:45 PM
Hi Revheat,

From what I have read, you have a new 45 with only the two Malawis, is that correct? I'm a little confused about your fish list. Do you have two tanks or one? ;one with the S. Americans and the other with the 2 fish? :roll:

Regards,

Matthew

Oh, and what is a "snowflake"? Could it be an albino socolofi?

TheRevHeat
03-19-2003, 08:21 AM
those are the fish that i started with i gave away:
both tetras
both rainbows
one pinapple and probably the other

now it consists of:
1 red zebra
1 albino red zebra
1 kenyi
1 snowflake socofoli
1 pleco
3 pictus cats
1 golden algea
1 emerald green kory
1 gourami
i have adjusted the PH to between 7.8-8.2 . i started this tank with the africans in mind i was just waiting for them all to die so i could start with the cichlids. i just started a lil early ...i know that sounds horrible but i have given most away and the ohthers are doing great in the tank so i figure until they look like they are having a hard time and ill find a home for them i have a couple of friends who are dying to get their hands on my pictus cats.

i think for now i am gonna stick with the four cichlids and my others and see how it goes. do you all think that is a good idea??

tom
03-20-2003, 10:55 AM
Overawed
03-20-2003, 12:11 PM
:idea: now thats a thought!

Mbuniac
03-20-2003, 10:33 PM
:( I hate to break it to you, but Kenyi (M. lombardoi) get quite a bit bigger than 2.5-3"! I have a male that is 4.5" and my son has one that is 5" or larger. My two females are 4". They are also one of the most aggressive of all the mbuna. If you want a peaceful tank (relatively), I would not recommend that particular species. IMHO

TheRevHeat
03-21-2003, 03:27 PM
so my kenyi will get bigger than the zebras and snowflake???

Mbuniac
03-21-2003, 10:53 PM
Don't know for sure about the socofoli, but depending on certain criteria (tank size,etc) your Red Zebra (Maylandia estherae) could get up to 6" or so.

SGypsyMermaid
03-22-2003, 02:51 AM
so my kenyi will get bigger than the zebras and snowflake???

zebaras can get up to five or six inches, too.

merlyn2221
03-22-2003, 11:06 PM
My lombardoi male is now about 4.5" and the female is even larger. She is also the most awesome color combination: she's a pale violet-blue, pinkish towards her tail, yellow on her top fin. I also have another female, but she's still small, about 2.5".

They all grew very quickly.

Mbuniac
03-23-2003, 12:15 AM
Dear Madam Moderator,
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't I just say the same thing?
And you thought your new exalted position was gonna be a piece of cake. Not with all your friends around, we'll keep you honest. Besides you'll make a darn good one and if we didn't tease you, you'd think we didn't love you anymore.
Sam-I-Am;)

SGypsyMermaid
03-23-2003, 01:36 AM
sam-i-am...don't you dare make fun of me cuz i'm old, blind, and forgetful!

Mbuniac
03-23-2003, 12:43 PM
If you're old, blind and forgetful, I must have at least one foot in the box:(