PDA

View Full Version : 40 gal and ideas please help

FeTTo
10-15-2005, 01:49 PM
i just got my 40 gallon all set up. i know people have been tellin me an oscar is way to big for a 40 gal. but my LFS has oscars for 12.99 that are as long as your pinky. i would assume if i dont feed him ALOT he wont outgrow that 40 gal for at least a year but i also want to do 2 pairs of convicts, 2 male.female pairs, i have rocks set up on the left side and some driftwood and hiding spots on the right and middle so theres enough territory that the convicts wont fight over it.

ANY my main point of this thread is do you think 1 pair of convicts and the small baby oscar will get along well? at this moment my parents decided to throw all the tropical fish into my 40 gal that used to be in my 20 gal. my tank has been cyling for a week now, fish were put in 2 days ago. swordtails, silverdollars, platties and some mollies with 2 plecos. the plecos are going to stay of course but im fed up with these gay tropical fish that dont do jack ****. will the convicts and small oscar clear the tank of these tropical fish? thats what im hoping since i have no need for them, and all they are doing is ****ting all over the tank

the tank is laid out with marine sand , 2 big pieces of drift wood, an overturned half castle to provide shelter for the plecos and 2 big cave/rocks on the left with about 3-4 different fake plants.

i also was thinking about a reddevil and 1 pair of convicts. i guess im looking for something to fill the bottom of teh tank, which would be the convicts, and something to patrol the top of the tank, oscar or reddevil. my parents are afraid that any of these fish will kill the plecos, since they are each about 5-7 inches long, ihve had those since they were 1 inch big.

any suggestions would be helpfull, im going to the LFS in 1.5 hours to check out the cons and oscars

i jsut want an agressive fish that will eat anything in the tank pretty much...if i cant come to a conclusion within the next few days of what i want, im just going to the shark aquarium and picking up a black rhom piranha

wheelie
10-15-2005, 02:01 PM
Neither an oscar nor a rd is an option. They will get way too big way too quickly for that tank. If you're thinking that you will get really small ones, the cons may very well kill them while breeding. I would stick with a pair of cons or a pair of firemoths, nothing larger. Depending on how many of the tropical fish you have in there, it might be too crowded as is. As for the plecos, two plecos of that size in a 40 gallon tank are going to eat themselves out fo a food source, so you might either want to take one back or get some algae wafers. Whatever you do, no oscar or red devil unless you plan on an immedaite upgrade to a much larger tank. hth.

FeTTo
10-15-2005, 02:08 PM
all these fish WERE in my 20 gal for almost 1 year. the plecos get 1 waffer each, so 2 waffers every 2 days, and they are fine. ive actualy ran out of wafers before and didnt have time to hit the LFS, and they survived on their own for almost 3 weeks just living off the tank.

i dont see how a small oscar can outgrow a 40 gal? the lfs and shark aquarium recomended at least a 20" gal for oscars, they told me the rule of thumg is 1 gall for every 1 inch the fish will grow. i can kinda see how that kinda doesnt make sense, but it also does in a way. im not no HARDCORE fish keeper ya know, im just lookin for something to make the room look nice too. im hoping that soon enough all these gay tropical fish will be eaten and i wont have to worry about them

the owners of the tank before me had a 15" redtail catfish in teh tank for 12 years.

if i buy the fish as babies to watch them grow, you dont think a year or so is fine for an oscar or rd? also i didnt think about the convicts possibly killing the oscar that would suck. would 2 pairs of cons work out? and is there a difference between pink cons? or black cones with white stripes or white cons with black stripes? like tempers different? habbits different? or just the same fish?

FeTTo
10-15-2005, 02:10 PM
here is a picture of the tank

as of yesterday i have cut off the air to the left side of the bubbles you see in that picture, seemed like the fish were having trouble swimming when they reached mid to top of the tank from all the current, so now its only the right strip of air bubbles with 2 whisper20/40 filters

Glaive
10-15-2005, 04:01 PM
i just got my 40 gallon all set up. i know people have been tellin me an oscar is way to big for a 40 gal.

Why don't you listen, perhaps people are telling you the truth?

but my LFS has oscars for 12.99 that are as long as your pinky. i would assume if i dont feed him ALOT he wont outgrow that 40 gal for at least a year

Under feeding a fish to stunt it's natural growth sounds rather abusive to me.

but i also want to do 2 pairs of convicts, 2 male.female pairs, i have rocks set up on the left side and some driftwood and hiding spots on the right and middle so theres enough territory that the convicts wont fight over it.

Purchase 2 mated pairs of convicts and the first to die will more than likely be your oscar as each pair of convicts will try to take at least half of the tank. Your poor little oscar will not be able to go anywhere with out being attacked. I would not be surprised if teh convicts killed each other after thier $13 target was gone.

will the convicts and small oscar clear the tank of these tropical fish? thats what im hoping since i have no need for them, and all they are doing is bleeping all over the tank

Trade them in, some one else may appreciate them.

the tank is laid out with marine sand

If it is indeed marine sand then you are altering the water chemistry in a way that is not beneficial for most South American cichlids.

any suggestions would be helpfull, im going to the LFS in 1.5 hours to check out the cons and oscars

Research what you want before you buy it. Find out your choice's needs so that you can make an informed decision. (Read my sig)

i jsut want an agressive fish that will eat anything in the tank pretty much...if i cant come to a conclusion within the next few days of what i want, im just going to the shark aquarium and picking up a black rhom piranha

Yeah okay, if you do that maybe the rhom will save your future fish.....

I would suggest taking more time when posting. I do believe that some people are put off when the first part of a message states that you are ignoring advice you have already recieved. Also It might not hurt for you to run your message through a word processor before posting.

In the end you are going to do what you want and no one can stop you. I just hope that you would listen to reasoned response.

FeTTo
10-15-2005, 04:18 PM
well i was at work, no internet, had to use a gateway program to connect to my home pc, and its worse then dialup, so pardon my mistakes. i did take advice. my one question is how can you tell male from female convicts? i purchased 2 cons today at the store, not very big, but i asked them for a male and female and they said they have never been asked that before with cichlids. was my only time to hit a petstore in about a week. so i picked up 2. one has alog of orange on it and one has barely any if that. they stated these looked to be a male/female pair, but if it wasnt i was more then gladly to bring them back anytime and have the other male/female swapped for its mate.

and what does the sand do to mess up the chemistry, im not trying to be an ass or a dick or anything, im taking peoples advice, but i get advice on here, and alot of people i know contridict it and tell me that people on here must not know a thing they are saying..but yet im on here asking questions becuase i am very curious to learn these things. i was told that sand would be a great environment for cichlids thats why i did it....the rocks are ontop of black gravel thats sitting ontop of the sand. right now the convicts are slowly gettng used to the tank water as i have the bag floating in the tank which ill leave there for about 25 minutes

Glaive
10-15-2005, 04:38 PM
If it is marine sand it maybe be carbonic. It just depends on the sand, do you know what type of sand it is? ie aragonite?

If it was carbonic it would leach carbonate into your water which would drive the KH and the pH up. If this was the case the tank would be more suited to africans, or perhaps certain central Americans.

I am not a convict expert myself so I do not know how to sex them, besides of course the wait and see method. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can pop in with advise on that.

wheelie
10-15-2005, 05:10 PM
Females have orange/red scales on their sides, but males have none at all. Is it just going to end up being the cons and the tropical fish?

FeTTo
10-15-2005, 05:11 PM
thanks glaive, honestly i dont remember what kinda sand it was. and i threw away the bags for it too..****...well ill hope someone with some expertice on the cons will tell me i posted another thread in another part of the page regarding it, thanks for hte info guys

FeTTo
10-15-2005, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by wheelie
Females have orange/red scales on their sides, but males have none at all. Is it just going to end up being the cons and the tropical fish?

yes, or untill the cons clean up the tank of the tropical fish (sword tails and mollies)

i saw the rd's and oscars at the lfs and saw that maybe i was thinkin over my head on their size they would soon grow. the cons seemed to sieze their side of the tank right away by the rocks, but it seems ALL the fish in the tank are staying in the same spot, i dont get it

crazyfishlady
10-15-2005, 05:43 PM
If you have a male & female con you will soon have only cons (and lots of them).
I would take Glaive's advise & return the swordtails & mollies to the LFS if you don't want them, because while you may find it amusing that you now have fish aggressive enough to kill them, they are not likely to eat them, & fish carcasses, or the stress that the convicts put these fish under until they finally die, can cause an illness in your tank that can effect the convicts as well.
And yes, what wheelie said is correct. The female convicts have pink on their bellies while the males have none.
Also, I don't know who your non-cichlidforum sources are on how to care for oscars, but the people on this board are generally very knowledgeable & just want to make sure that the people who come here with questions, get accurate information that results in healthy fish, and happy aquariasts. We're not trying to sell you anything. Unlike the people at the petstore who can make money by either selling you fish to replace the ones that die, or selling you another, bigger tank when the oscar they sell you does indeed outgrow the 1st tank they sold you.

FeTTo
10-15-2005, 05:44 PM
here are some pictures i got, not the best but the younger sibling used the new camera last and now it no longer autofocus's

currently i am using 2 different lights, only because the light from the left is thehood from my 20 gal, the one on the right is from another 20 gal, but the bulbs are apparently different as u can tell...

the fish are all stayingon the left sde, adn now slowly staring to move around, they have been in thre for 2 days now, the cons just got put in...think it has to do with the light they are used to?

FeTTo
10-15-2005, 05:45 PM
heres 1 picture i got of them

wheelie
10-15-2005, 06:15 PM
Interesting colors on that con, looks almost like a honduran red point, but it could just be the flash. crazyfishlady has it exactly right, everyone on this forum is here to help/be helped for the betterment of the hobby. On that note, if you return the mollies and platies but still want some dithers you could check out giant danios or something of the like. Best of luck with your tank!

FeTTo
10-15-2005, 06:19 PM
thanks, im trying to figure out the best way to get the cons to eat, i bought the cichlid pellets but 1 ate 1 pellet and that was it, they are prolly stil trying to get used to the new tank...stilll cant figure out why ALL the fish just stay at the left

Glaive
10-15-2005, 08:09 PM
they are prolly stil trying to get used to the new tank

That's probably the reason for a lack of appetite.

...stilll cant figure out why ALL the fish just stay at the left

Could be the difference in lighting. I personally like the look, however your fish might not.

FeTTo
10-16-2005, 12:47 PM
well i went to get some algea eaters today and they hooked me up with an african electric blue it looks like, i put him in the tank, and it seems as soon as he entered the water the convicts have been messin with him, is this a bad combo? is my electric blue gonna be dead soon? they had cons and assorted africans in the same tank at the lfs and they were fine. the fish was marked 10 bucks, but was givin to me for free cuase i think the chick behind the counter wanted me lol, 4 alge eaters a 3 bucks each, and 1 cichlid i paid 6 bucks, hes a bit bigger then the cons too, but not by much

SuperDave9x19
10-17-2005, 08:21 AM
I dunno what else to say but good luck and reread all responses.

FeTTo
10-17-2005, 08:40 AM
nothing said anything about putting convicts and african eletric blue in the tank together, ive never heard a bad comment about them

punkypuffer
10-17-2005, 09:16 AM
you're starting to mix africans and americans and that's not always the best choice. more than likely if your convicts pair up your african will be dead.

also, africans prefer hard, high pH water, where americans prefer softer, lower pH water. cons are pretty good about living in the higher pH water as they are more resiliant (sp?) to other conditions.....

anyway your cons have the upper hand aggression wise...good luck..

FeTTo
10-17-2005, 09:36 AM
thanks, so far they have been gettin along pretty fine, im gonna buy more rocks today i think ,get some more hiding spots. but the cons do team up on him, and chase him around, but he turns around, darts at them, and they back off and go back to their rock corner and he swims to his. they seem to be getting along, not tom ention the silver dollars are being more aggressive them both