PDA

View Full Version : Unknown Geo. Species

wheelie
10-06-2005, 09:24 AM
I picked up a Geo. at my lfs a few months ago. The store generally has a pretty standard list, but this particular week a shipment came in that they hadn't ordered. I didn't recognize the fish, and neither did they, so they gave me one to see if I could find out. I know a picture would be most helpful, but my camera and computer aren't currently on speaking terms. The geo. is currently around 3in and has a silvery base color with random light blue flecks. It also has yellow-tinted fins and three black spots running down either side of its body. Sound familiar to anyone?

josh_shilling
10-07-2005, 06:02 PM
Is the nose surinamensis type or jurupari type?

(Search images.google.com for those two terms to see photos)

3 Black spots could be Satanoperca daemon

http://72.16.19.20/aquarium/daemon/IMG_6489.JPG

If that is what it is- can you send me the phone number of the fish shop if they have any more :-).

wheelie
10-07-2005, 11:17 PM
That picture is almost exactly it, but mine's colors aren't quite as rich. Could it be a satanoperca daemon and it's colors be off since it's so young?

wheelie
10-09-2005, 10:02 AM
I did some searches, and it's definitely a satanoperca daemon, thanks so much! By what I've read, though, my tank is not going to be very good for it since the other cichlids in there demand much different water parameters. Are they adaptable enough fish that it will be able to live in my tank as-is?:(

josh_shilling
10-09-2005, 01:13 PM
If you keep the water very clean it will do fine.

If you keep the pH higher than desired, cleanliness and diet becomes that more important. They are quite succeptible to HITH / HLLE.

What are your water parameters? I keep my pH under 6.4 and really warm.

wheelie
10-09-2005, 02:59 PM
I'm not sure of the exact pH at the moment since I am away at college and only go back every couple weeks... or maybe less often. I know the temp. should be set at around 82 or 83 though.

fish speaker
10-16-2005, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by josh_shilling
If that is what it is- can you send me the phone number of the fish shop if they have any more :-).

My lfs got 2 of those in their last order (at least they look like it to my eyes)...mixed in with some that had no spots. I'm assuming that males and females both have spots? The salesman at the lfs is excited about having gotten those 2, and has marked them as S. daemon. I can give you the number, if you're heading this way! :razz:

josh_shilling
10-16-2005, 08:47 PM
Do you know if they will ship them?

fish speaker
10-16-2005, 09:14 PM
I have no idea if they ship...I don't think they do, but just not certain. Of course, I could just render it a moot question by buying them myself.:twisted: Actually, the only reason I don't already have them is space (I have to clean out the garage and see if I can practically set up some tanks there) and confidence (I have some fish that I trust myself with, but these are supposed to be challenging...meaning I would feel better about giving them a shot if I downsized a little, and didn't feel stretched too thin). If they are still there next time I go by (sometime this week), I'll ask about shipping, and I'll look into where they got them.

josh_shilling
10-17-2005, 08:13 PM
Thanks!