PDA

View Full Version : new cichlid pond

firemouthman198
10-03-2005, 08:00 AM
Hey guys im about to set up a 350 gallon pond and i have a few questinons. My first one is if i will need a filter for teh pond and if so any suggestions would be grate. My Second is wether or not i need to put netting over it in like a canopy style to keep birds out. Thanks. Any help would be appreciated.

-Ben

RedParrotBubbles85
10-03-2005, 08:51 PM
i dont think you should need any netting as long as it is relatively deep. about the filter, i think you should have one on it. although it is large it would be best to keep one on it to keep the water clean and free of things like ammonia and nitrites.
-Mike

Clay
10-03-2005, 09:34 PM
I was just about to ask where you live but then I saw it. How cold does it get during the night and how hot in the day where you live? You may want to keep it in the shade if it gets real hot during the day. I also reccomend getting a filter. Not sure what kind, I guess I can look something up tonight when I go to bed.

firemouthman198
10-04-2005, 08:06 AM
its doesnt get to fridged down here but we can have a few occasional cold nights. And i am thinking of putting a shade canopy over it. The reason i asked about a filter is because ive seen otehr posts about ponds and tehy just have like plants on tehm that keep the water nice and clean. Just a question thanks for the help.

Rex Karr
10-06-2005, 06:08 PM
How many fish do you want and what species? If you just want to keep a pair of Firemouths for instance, I don't think a filter would be necessary. If you want to have an amount of fish anywhere near to what you would find in an average aquarium then of course you will need an appropriately sized filter.

I also highly recommend netting if you think that there is any chance of fish eating birds coming in contact with the pond. I lost a pond full of fish to a small green heron one year.

Good luck

firemouthman198
10-07-2005, 08:11 AM
thanks rex i plan on having 2 oscars and maybe some feeder dithers but thats about it. Iknow oscars are pretty messy soim starting to lean towards a filter but not sure. Any other hehlp would be also appreciated. =)

-Ben

Rex Karr
10-07-2005, 10:33 PM
Would you run a 300g aquarium that was stocked with 2 Oscars plus dithers without a filter? I didn't think so. This is no different. Your definitely going to need one.

Good luck

firemouthman198
10-08-2005, 08:38 AM
thanks guys