PDA

View Full Version : Really tough Algae

Rudy
03-12-2003, 09:05 AM
I changed the ligh bulbs on my 66 at work a couple weeks ago. Just 2 48 inch flourescent power glos. The problem is now that I have this green algae that seems to be growing that I literally can't scrape. It is stuck to the glass and seems that I would need a wire bruch to get the stuff off. Anybody have any ideas on what this stuff is? It drives me nuts.

Would a phospate sponge help, as the pleco doesn't seem to clean it very well.

Overawed
03-12-2003, 09:08 AM
Hmmm the stuff of that color that I have exp with was very slimy and easy to clean. It attached itself to the plexi I have covering my 90g. I have seen mysterious algae at LFS, and they were having a hard time with it. They got rid of it someway. I'll ask them and then get back to you. If it is some sort of gov experiment I would say your pretty F@#$ed :wink:

Rudy
03-12-2003, 09:17 AM
If it is some sort of gov experiment I would say your pretty F@#$ed

One more reason why Margaret won't let Ow watch the x files anymore. :mrgreen:

Overawed
03-12-2003, 09:47 AM
Hey!! The truth is out there!

SKULLY!!!!!!

fOx
03-12-2003, 09:47 AM
I have had the same problem. You wear through algae pads trying to scrub the stuff off. Then I found a scraper called the Screaming Eagle. It was like $5.00 at Super Pet here in Ottawa. It's a Chinese algae scraper, and it comes with (what looks like) a hardened plastic razor blade, the edge is very sharp. All you do is slide the little scraper very gently up and down the glass and that algae just peels off in chunks. My Mbuna's go crazy trying to eat it all as I just fake it off the glass.

Look for this thing, or something like it. Personally I think everybody should have one it's cut the time I spend scrubbing algae by like 90%.

fOx

Rudy
03-13-2003, 02:02 PM
Thanks Fox. I bought a hagen one similar to yours in fact it could be the same except it was wrapped in hagen packaging, but the scraper part says Flying eagle. It was $3.99.

Works like a charm. Just wish they made them bigger as this is going to take me forever.

fOx
03-13-2003, 02:06 PM
The chinese one is probably a knock-off (I can't believe I paid more than you did for it tho!) :shock:

Anyways, whatever works....

fOx

Chet
03-13-2003, 03:59 PM
I have the same algae in all of my tanks. Drives me nuts. It also grows on my sand substrate in the 29 and is hard to get up because it is relatively heavy and stays in chunks. I saw a 7" algae scraper like what ya'll are describing, in the BigAl's catalog. I think I'll get one with my next order.

SGypsyMermaid
03-15-2003, 11:26 PM
sounds like 'green spot algae': http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_algae.htm

Boilermaker
03-29-2003, 10:56 PM
How goes the battle on the green spot algae?
I've found the 125 gets this algae and this is the only tank on the north side of the house, hmmm.
I have since bought long handle razor scraper at home depot.