PDA

View Full Version : Colored Sand...

tediumsdream
03-06-2003, 06:21 PM
Ok I bought all my sand and filters, heaters. etc. today.

I rinsed out my sand (black and green) as best I could and made a thin layer on the surface of the tank. As I was filling the tank with water, the water became cloudy-black in appearance, so I emptied it out and refilled, and this time is was tinted but not as dark, after time the water went pretty clear, is this something to worry about? is it bad for the filter to take this tinted water in? I had this problem to a lesser extent with gravel but this is my first time with sand.

John

Rex Karr
03-09-2003, 07:24 AM
Sounds just like you didn't wash the sand out completely. Which is almost impossible to do. I'm sure its cleared up now, right? And it shouldn't be a problem for the filter, as long as actually grains of sand are going through it.

surfdude660
03-09-2003, 09:46 AM
If you used colored sand, it could be the dyes used to color it.

Poet8102
03-10-2003, 05:25 PM
Rex,
I have noticed that you use sand in almost all of your tanks so I guess that you would be the person to ask this question to. I also realize that this is not the proper place for this question so I will apologize in advance.
I have just set up a 90gal tank with two oscars, one common and one ruby, and I have a white sand substrate. So you can assume what I see on the bottom of my tank after they digest thier food. This brings me to my question. What exactly do you do to clean your tanks. My python siphon is just not working and I have no idea how to get the bottom of my tank clean. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance for all of your help and anyone else's help that might chime in later on.

PS

Please move this post to where ever you think I would get the most help.

Rudy
03-10-2003, 05:30 PM
I will answer that. Get a powerhead at eat end of the tank. Keep them high up on the tank, but pointed down. It will keep the poop from colecting all along the bottom and hopefully will get filtered and if nbot it will most likely collect in a common spot where the current draws it to. Then you can use just a plain old hose to syphon it out into a bucket. Just small changes.

Rex Karr
03-10-2003, 07:04 PM
Yep, Rudy's correct. With good water circulation, a lot will be drawn into the filter. And what is no, will collect in certain areas behind decorations and stuff. Then just syphon it out. I actually had few problems with the white sand. But the black sand seems to show stuff much worse. I have no idea why. This is a great motivation to do frequent water changes :)