PDA

View Full Version : NEW TANK IS HOME!! WOULD LIKE SOME SUGGESTIONS..

tediumsdream
03-05-2003, 08:14 PM
Well I went to pick up my 90 gallon tank today. It's a beauty, black rimmed with a shiny black stand and a great hood and light.

All this excitement is driving me crazy lol I have so many ideas and uncertainties about tank decorations.

Rex you mentioned to me that sand is a good substrate for a tank w/ Texas and GT. However I read in Tetra's popular guide to tropical cichlids that sand is more ideal for dwarf and small cichlids, and larger cichlids require small to medium sized gravel.

I believe this might be due to the bacteria growth, where on the one hand sand becomes packed and cuts of a sufficient oxygen flow for the beneficial bacteria, and on the other hand food gets trapped between gravel layers and pieces and clouds op the water.

Of course with maintenence these problems are easily avoided, but what has everyone been most happy with?? I'd like sand for a change, Rex, have you encountered any problems??

Thanks again

John

Rex Karr
03-05-2003, 10:33 PM
Like I said in your other post, keep it thin and there are no problems. Although fish crap, left over food, rotted wood and plants, etc will build up on top the sand. This is not to noticable with light colored sand, but is very apparent on black sand. With that said, I still prefer black. Just keep up the regular siphonings and it will look great.

Gees, I just realized i had been spelling "Siphon" wrong for years LOL

Your tank sounds awsome. Hope it all works out for you. Be sure to get pics.

Rex