seamonkey
03-05-2003, 05:42 PM
Hello, Everyone

I have:
2 OB Peacocks (m/f)
2 Cobalt blues (m/f)
2 Eletric Yellows (?/?)
1 little, Venustus (?)
1 Acei?? (2" drk blue w/ yellow fins) (m)
1 Red Peacock ( red somthing, and it's a peacock) Don't know exact name. (m)

All in a 55 tank with a Whisper 60, and a Whisper 20-40. W/ smaller pea sized gravel. (the filters came with the tank)

My Question is, What size of sand should i get? All of my fish are about 2" now. I would love to get somthing that is'nt going to kill my filters, yet. I'm in college so i have to stick with, what i got.( no $$$$)
I just want my fish to be happy

Also how would a person go about changing the gravel and switching to sand w/o an extra tank. I have a good ide, but there has to a trick to it somwhere.

I'm looking into the pool filter sand. (do you folks think i run with that)

This is a gret forum, Thanks for your time. Seamonkey

matt1066
03-05-2003, 07:54 PM
Welcome,

Best thing you can do is scan previous posts on sand/substrate, there is quite a bit of info on the subject of sand lately. Pool filter sand will work great. This is also covered under general topics-just poke around a bit and you'll find all the info you need.

I have done the conversion from gravel to sand, pain in the butt, in a 55g however not to bad. If you have no other tank, go buy yourself a 17g rubbermaid tub, fill it with tank water, remove fish to tub, try to keep the temp stable-if you have a submersible heater you could put that in as well, dont let it rest on the plastic tub, keep your bio-media in the tub with your fish. if you have a air pump put an airstone in the tub. So we now have the fish, water, bio-media, air, temp all set-up in the tub. this will give you plenty of time to switch substrates. make sure you wash the sand WELL, when you think its clean, wash it again.

Then just put back your media in the filter, hook them up, add the heater, redecorate a bit-and then pop the fish in there new home. you fish could stay in the tub at least 24hrs using this method. if your going to keep them there longer ammonia could be an issue.

Any questions just ask, and good luck I'm sure it will go well.

Regards,

Matt :) P.S. Try to save as much tank water as possible, this will aid in populating the tank with bene bacteria.

Most of this I got by viewing past topics, so give it a try.

FishoPhile J
03-07-2003, 12:34 AM
college guy's opinion: 17gal buckets cost too much (and barring a keg party) become very large and obstructive when not being used (space is one of my big issues)... wipe out the bathtub real good, fill it with the tank water, and do everything else matt said.

seamonkey
03-07-2003, 03:22 PM
thanks for the input. The tub would be a good idea, but the rommates would kill me. Would be funny though. I have a couple ten gals at my parents. ( i think). Time to pay them a visit.

i went to a couple of pool shops today and asked about "pool filter sand" The fella told me that it was $8.00 for 50 lbs. He recomended to me that i should not use it. It would be all over the place in a tank. He was talking about the sugar sized sand( Is he right?). Then at a LFS they wanted $25.00 for some frolida crushed coral. It looked cool but too much.

Will silicates kill my fish? i think i'm going to zip out to home depot, and get some quickcrete sand.

Overawed
03-07-2003, 05:58 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum seamonkey

I have been using Swimming Pool filter sand in my 55g for over a year. It works great! It doesn't look as good as regular sand, but it works better. It is easier on filters (just make sure you raise your filter water intakes to a safe level). Its easier to clean because its harder to suck up and you can move your hand through it to negate bacteria growth. Just make sure you wash it very well (as with any sand).

Mbuniac
03-07-2003, 11:35 PM
After checking our local swimming pool stores I found out that they all get their sand from a local rock yard. I went there to look at it and they had about 6 or 7 different grain sizes from.85mm to .053 mm. I haven't decided to go with sand for sure, but if I do I'll go with the larger grain. It doesn't stir up as easily. Also, their price was $5 and change for a 100 lb. bag.
Also when Matt talked about washing the sand he is correct, but just so you know, he meant "rinse". Don't use any sort of detergent. You probably figured that out for yourself, but just in case.....LOL
Sam

matt1066
03-09-2003, 05:17 PM
Yes, by all means rinse :lol:

matt

Mbuniac
04-04-2003, 12:10 AM
Go to the "Malawi Cichlid" forum, subject: "Sand or Gravel".
We just had a discussion about the subject. I'm not taking my fish out. Buy a new little plastic dust pan (rinse and wipe really well). If you have a collander set it in the bottom of your tank and scoop the gravel into it. Then lift it out (water will drain out) and dump gravel in bucket/plastic bag/ whatever. Otherwise use a small bucket in the tank to scoop it into and pour the water out as you lift the gravel out. Make sure you get it all. I am going to keep my power filters running during the process to keep the water from getting too messy. When the water gets fairly clear I will take small buckets full of rinsed sand and set the bucket into the tank. Then you can tip it over and pour the sand out gently so it doesn't stir up too much. Then I'll spread it around by hand. Anyway, I think that's what will work for me IMHO
LOL, Sam