PDA

View Full Version : Compressiceps Problem - Help!

tankgirl g
03-05-2003, 12:33 PM
I have a small Albino Compressiceps that the pet store folks thought would be OK with my larger Compressiceps and various sizes of African Cichlids. They were wrong. My fish thought that the little guy was a shrimp cocktail. I was able to isolate him & put him in a breeder setup that allows him to be in the same tank, but his tail fin got pretty much bitten off. Otherwise, he seems fine & is eating normally. Yesterday morning I noticed what looks like a white "cloud" of "cotton" surrounding the tail fin area (fungus?). I asked at the pet shop & they told me to use MelaFix. Have any of you experienced anything like this with a fish wound? Any treatment suggestions? This was not a cheap fish, so I am pretty determined to do anything necessary for him to recover.

Thank You :(

Overawed
03-05-2003, 12:58 PM
I would say that Melafix is the best for what ailes ur little fish. I hope he gets healthy and can return to that tank and get some revenge. ;)

I have a female Placidachromis Phenochilus that got beaten up one night. She had lost her rear tail, her other fins were severely damaged and she had a cloudy eye. I removed her to a hospital tank and treated her with Melafix. She was back to normal within days.

tankgirl g
03-05-2003, 01:37 PM
Kevin -

Thanks! I hope the MelaFix works...especially since it's natural and isn't going to screw up the whole tank (I killed an amazing amount of fish once with "Clout" - although it did get rid of the problem, but it didn't really matter since I didn't have any fish left!) I'll see how he's doing when I get home tonight...

WorldNation
03-05-2003, 02:06 PM
melafix is the best way to go. when i first got my electric blue, and put him in my tank, my kenyi had a field day on him, ripped him almost to shreads, i isolated him and trated him with some melafix and by the end of the week he was back in the tank doing just fine.

Overawed
03-05-2003, 02:15 PM
Good show World Nation

Tankgirl (WELCOME TO THE CICHLID FORUMS btw) :party:

Sorry about your clout attack. I have never used that stuff. I hope I never have to.

On Melafix: I forgot to tell you:
Just be sure to remove the activated carbon during treatment, it will work a lot faster!

And...

my 2 cents worth:

A good 10-20 gallon hospital tank is invaluable when it comes to treating injured or dieseased fish. It gives them a chance to get away from the bullies and its gives you a chance to save your un-infected fish from diesease spread. Another great reason for a hospital tank is that uses less costly medications. Melafix is expensive needless to say, I have put 2 whole bottles in my 90g at a time at a cost around 20 bucks each treatment. :shock: That was for just one fish. :shock: One day I was lucky enough to stumble into a fish store that was getting rid of their old tanks. Now I have an abundance of extra tanks for sick fish and frys. :D

stefanos.f
03-05-2003, 02:49 PM
Had the same problem once... used MelaFix... Problem gone for good! :lol: :lol: :lol: Just give the fish a chance to recover 100% and grow a litle more in an other tank than the one it had trouble in!

tankgirl g
03-06-2003, 12:09 PM
Thanks Guys! Today the white "cloud" is gone from his tail :D . He is cruising around the breeder tank as well as can be expected for a fish without a tail fin...and he's eating (always a good sign!). Today is day 3 on the MelaFix, so hopefully he will make a full recovery soon.

To answer Overawed's comment - thanks for the info :D ...I actually have a 20 gallon hospital tank, but this fish was so small & so beaten up within hours of my getting him & putting him into my big tank...so I thought it better to leave him where he was & just isolate his so that I wouldn't stress him more!

He's definately going to stay put until he gets large enough to swim with the sharks...er...cichlids LOL!!

tankgirl g
03-14-2003, 02:47 PM
Well, the my little fish seems to be ok now...but my "bullies" really did a number on him...they appear to have completely amputated his tail :shock: . It healed over...now all he has is a stump! Poor thing. He's going to have to get a LOT bigger before I dare let him out with the others again!

Overawed
03-15-2003, 09:25 AM
:cry: Poor lil guy

WorldNation
03-15-2003, 10:44 AM
wow :( that really sux, hope he gets better