PDA

View Full Version : new setup

DGotti9
08-22-2005, 09:09 PM
I just re-setup my 55 gallon tank. I put in a Dovii, a Jag, and a Blue jack dempsey. They are all about 1.5-2''. I was wondering if i should expect any problems with this combination in the future. I hear Doviis are extremely aggressive but i figured if it matures along with the other two from this age, they should be fine.

RedParrotBubbles85
08-22-2005, 09:19 PM
Ummmmmm.... just to let you know dovii grow huge and are cinsidered one of the most aggressive cichlids, as are jags. this will not work in the future at all as the fish begin to grow up. the dovii will likely take over the tank and kill the other two. for now they may be ok because they are small, but when they reach adolescense they will definantly start to fight. the jag should have a 125gallon at least, the jack could stay in the 55 for life, but the dovii will need a much larger tank. your best bet if you dont plan on getting a much larger tank is to get rid of the dovii. but even then you need to get a larger tank for the jag as it will outgrow the width of it, and will likely end up becoming stunted from the small tank as it grows.HTH.
-Mike

bmxer_100
08-23-2005, 05:10 AM
Ditto /\ I'd take to dovii back to your LFS and do the same with the jag unless you plan to upgrade, I'd say a 6x2x2ft would be suitable.

Rex Karr
08-23-2005, 03:21 PM
Troll

DGotti9
08-24-2005, 09:09 AM
Thanks. I took the dovii back and got a firemouth to replace him. I'll keep the jag for now but i plan on getting a bigger tank in a few months so i'll put him there.

Dempsey88
09-02-2005, 05:57 PM
That Blue Dempsey will definitely be in trouble with the other two in the tank. You may be able to pull off growing out the Jack Dempsey and the Firemouth together. The only thing is that Blue Dempseys grow really slow and are fragile when compared to other cichlids. The Jaguar will definetly have to go as soon as possible.