PDA

View Full Version : why?

smeats
03-02-2003, 08:55 AM
I just recently set up a second tank for my cichlids because my convicts are breeding and I heard that they can get very aggresive and possibly kill my other fish. In the second tank I put 3 angels, 1 puffer and 5 cichlids. the cichlids are around 1.5 inches. I woke up one morning and found my nimbochromis venustus dead? His fins were gone but from what I know that always happens to dead cichlids. I did'nt see any other "bite marks" and there were no signs of fighting. Any idea why it happened. Could it just be due to stress of switching tanks. the rest of my fish are all ok. Water is fine. ph. 7.2, 0 nitrates & ammonia....
Any ideas would be appreciated.

WorldNation
03-02-2003, 11:39 AM
well.. one major mistake u have, is mixing africans with S. Americans. I guerentee the ph is what killed him. 7.2 is killer to an african. they need at least 8.2 .

convicts are pretty agressive when breeding.

merlyn2221
03-02-2003, 11:49 AM
That pH is really low for Africans. They prefer it around 8-8.2.
What was pH in your other tank before you switched them over?

That could be a serious problem in causing stress to the fish. It can cause a condition known as alkalosis/acidosis. This can lead to osmotic shock and ultimately cause the fish to die.

In principal, because of the different water chemistry requirements of African and South American cichlids, they should not be housed together.

I'd gradually raise the pH in the tank you have Africans in, or get a tank just for the Africans. That way you are assured that their water conditions are as close to their natural habitat as possible.

:cry: Sorry about your venustus.

lil-crab
03-06-2003, 02:31 AM
have and had the same problems and it's due to a few things, when convicts breeds they get very defensive and aggressive, therefore they will constantly harass the others, especially if you have a small tank. my PH on the average is 8.0, both my africans and south america do fine at that level.

smeats
03-06-2003, 01:49 PM
thanks for the input everybody....
I moved my africans out of the new tank and back to the old one where they were fine for 6 months+. I put my convicts in the new tank and they are fine now. In the new tank the ph is up to 8.0.
Sad to report that during the moves my red-tail shark decided to take a four foot leap out of the bucket he was in. :( Found him on the floor not moving, so I put him in water for a minute (just incase) but it was too late..

And don't worry. I know you should'nt mix cichlids with tropicals but he has done fine ever since I got the cichlids.... I had him first.

Overawed
03-06-2003, 01:54 PM
Sorry you lost your red tail... :(

I just lost a Moori (juvie newly bought), don't know what happened to him. I think it was a parasite problem.

smeats
03-06-2003, 03:29 PM
This is the first fish I've lost in 7 or 8 months and now I've got 2 dead in a week.....
Go figure, I was just joking with my friend who just lost about 7 or 8 fish in the last week because he totally cleaned his tank and did'nt save any original water. So the tank had to start like it was brand new :(

I hate irony :)

Overawed
03-06-2003, 03:51 PM
irony can be ironic

matt1066
03-06-2003, 04:42 PM
Sorry for your loss.

I recentley lost two C. moorii-they were two of five that I purchased about 3 weeks ago. Eating fine when purchased then started panting and coloring-up, 1 died 2 days ago the other today. They were a bit bloated, I will assume they had Bloat, My diet for them was high on the protein side, so I'm chilling out a little on the shrimp and frozen plankton. The only thing that bothers me is Cyrtocara moorii are omnivores and that should'nt have affected them. Possible parasite? The [i:8b0d17ef5b][b:8b0d17ef5b]others[/b:8b0d17ef5b][/i:8b0d17ef5b] are fine., so I won't stress.

Regards,

Matt

lil-crab
03-07-2003, 12:19 AM
Sorry for your loss.

I recentley lost two C. moorii-they were two of five that I purchased about 3 weeks ago. Eating fine when purchased then started panting and coloring-up, 1 died 2 days ago the other today. They were a bit bloated, I will assume they had Bloat, My diet for them was high on the protein side, so I'm chilling out a little on the shrimp and frozen plankton. The only thing that bothers me is Cyrtocara moorii are omnivores and that should'nt have affected them. Possible parasite? The others are fine, so I won't stress.

Regards,

Matt
sorry for the confusion, but did you say that you thought your moori contracted a parasite through frozen food?

matt1066
03-09-2003, 05:21 PM
No, I meant that due to my high protein diet-I contibuted to the possiblilty that I caused them to secumb to Bloat. As far as I know, parasites do not survive the freezing cycle. The fish might have had a parasite when I purchased them.

Regards,

Matt