PDA

View Full Version : Carbonate Source

z rock
08-11-2005, 03:39 PM
Upon doing some digging at the library recently, and watching National Geographic channel. I found there is a volcano called OlDoinyo Lenga that spews pure sodium carbonate.

OlDoinyo is the only active volcano on the eastern rift in northern Tanzania.

The rift lakes are said to have an almost permanent thermocline although in the case of Tanganyika. I have found a source that states it's waters do circulate and say's there are theories the lakes may be heated at the extream depths by the earths core.

That got me thinking about the possiblity of there being vents, chimney's, or natural springs from volcaninc activity down in the bottom of the lakes that would account for there hardness and high PH.

There must be something other than rain run-off from the jungle and rivers that cause the high PH. :confused:

Glaive
08-11-2005, 05:50 PM
I have heard that there are dense shell beds in Tanganyika's depths that contribute to it's chemistry. Though I could not dismiss this, it would just help further understanding of the lake.

That is truly intriguing information.

As for jungle run off I would think that that would lower the pH. Ala peat in a filter.

Heyguy74
08-16-2005, 09:21 AM
I wouldn't doubt that the lakes could have vents deep down. The whole rift valley is going through huge geographaical changes. Eventually the rift valley will become a sea.