PDA

View Full Version : water clarity issues

dparks87
08-04-2005, 03:31 PM
I have alot of problems with clarity and my water, its well water and thus has alot of minerals. The minerals tend to creat a white haze in the water. My PH is also very high due to all the minerals, out of the tap it is around 8.4-8.8, i lower it with PH down. It works but only for a short time, and i think the constant raising and lowering of PH has a negative effect on my fish. I have no Ammonia Nitrate or nitrite. I run a big ehiem classic i wanna say its a 2217 or somthing i cant remember the number but its the bigest classic along with a bio wheel 330 and a fluval 204. They are all mostly stocked with carbon filter noodles, ceramics and sponge filtration. Do you guys no any solution that really clears mineral clouding, and what products do you guys use to keep your water conditions like PH balanced? Also do you guys think i could be better optimizing my filtration or do you think i should throw on another filter, if so what one?
P.S. i have a managuense, festae and two green terrors.

bevoman
08-04-2005, 04:38 PM
Stuff your hob with filter floss and it will clear the water.

Glaive
08-04-2005, 06:06 PM
Lol I'm usually in the raising pH discussions.

Drift wood in the tank and peat in a media bag in your fluval may help drop your ph, just watch it carefully as you do not want to go too quickly. You may want to add a little peat at a time and work your way up over a couple weeks.

dparks87
08-04-2005, 08:14 PM
i have thought about using the peat, never thought it made much of a difference, i will have to try that. I also have driftwood in the tank but i think my PH is just to high. I have been thinking about getting another filter. Possibly one of the Ehiem wet dry's any of you guys use them?

Glaive
08-04-2005, 09:45 PM
I have heard from people I trust that they are excelent.

bevoman
08-05-2005, 06:00 AM
How big is your tank?

dparks87
08-05-2005, 04:34 PM
the tank is a 125

bevoman
08-05-2005, 08:23 PM
I think you have enough filtration.
Try the peat as Glaive has suggested and stuff you hob with filter floss as I have suggested.
I think the peat will help with the ph and the floss with the clarity.
Good luck!

dparks87
08-06-2005, 06:45 AM
thanks for the help guys