PDA

View Full Version : Need Opinions

Mbuniac
02-27-2003, 03:57 AM
I went to a friends house tonight to see his Rena Filstar XP3 canister filter. He decided that the best way for me to learn about it was to clean it (something about Tom Sawyer and whitewashing a fence comes to mind). I was really impressed at how easy is was to clean and restock with media. He has been using it for a year on his 150 and is very satisfied. He said, " It is the best and most effective filter I have ever used". I have heard others of you mention Ehiem and Fluval, what do you think about the Filstar? I'm going to abandon my UGF, the mbunas make it impossible. Also I would appreciate suggestions for substrate. Can I go with sand instead of gravel? If so what kind? Thanks ahead of time for you input.
Sam

merlyn2221
02-27-2003, 08:58 AM
Basically, all canister filters, (the square type) are very easy to clean and change out media. The convenience is great, but they are also efficient as well.

I use Fluval, but basically the Filstar is the same. It is also a little less money than the Fluvals or Eheims.

I would never use a Magnum, only because I have had leakage issues, as have others I know who run them.

Mbuniac
02-27-2003, 12:39 PM
Thanks Merlyn,
I appreciate your input.
Sam

fOx
02-27-2003, 02:12 PM
No sense in me giving my opinion, as I am running two Fluvals on my tank and people have endorsed these filters already. What I will say is whatever you choose, get two of them. This makes cleaning things easy as you just rotate between them. Do one filter one week and the other two weeks later. This allows the bacteria colonies to mutiply in one while you wipe them out in the second with your cleaning. Having two ensures your tank never goes into shock because of a lack of beneficial bacteria in the filters.

good luck..

fOx

Mbuniac
02-27-2003, 09:45 PM
Thanks fox, 2 filters is a good idea. There is a mind boggling choice of filter media available. If I go with the Filstar it comes with a 20 and 30 ppi sponge and a final polishing filter. That leaves a choice for 5 more baskets. What would you suggest, and in what order?
Thanks, Sam

fOx
02-28-2003, 01:28 PM
I would fill the bottom baskets with crushed coral (which you can leave in for good, just rinse them once in a while to get rid of some of the detritus and improve water flow) in the top baskets I would put some sort of biological blocks (you know the ones that allow algae to grow on 100 square inches or something) any of those will do. If you want to use Ammo Carb, or carbon in a couple of the baskets you can. I would have those right at the bottom of the basket stack tho. (it's up to you)

I would be careful. Just because you have 5 baskets doesn't mean they can hold that much stuff (they may be able to, I haven't seen filstars in a while). If they only hold a little, then you should have two or three baskets with some sort of biological blocks/tubes/whatever they are all good and crushed coral.

good luck...

fOx

Mbuniac
02-28-2003, 10:18 PM
thanks for the input, I appreciate it. Can't wait to get that UGF outta there. Then they can dig all they want, "there ain't nothin' down there but glass"!
Thanks again, Sam