PDA

View Full Version : agression

Glaive
02-26-2003, 09:35 PM
Hi All,

First off my tank, a 20 gallon long, contains 4 fish, a Scianenochromis fryeri, a Altolamprologus compressiceps, and a pair (male & female) of something slender and very fast, non cichlid.

My question is with regaurds to agression and picking on tank mates. My fryeri is the tank terror, he is at absolute most 2 inches long the compy is at absolute most 1 1/2 inches long. I noticed today that the pecking order appears complete. The fryeri is king he revels in chasing the small quick pair, and he has taken to nudging the compy. At first the compy would either ignore the nudges or nudge back, now it has become a push over. My concern is whether or not I have enough fish or two many for such a small setup. And if I have too few how many and what would be suggested?

I do have alot of cover, both in solid/holey objects and fake plants, I have taken the time to dril holes in whole teracota pots and pieces. The small fast fish actually lost the fryeri by slaloming in and out small holes.

Another thought would be should I see if I can pop a new little pot with a hole that the fryeri can't get in?

Thanx,

JB wind
02-26-2003, 11:18 PM
well here it is, your Fryeri is a semi to aggressive fish, and will get any where from 6 to 8 inches. a very pretty fish, your tank is a little small to house him, Fryeri's should be kept in groups. and your compressiceps is a peaceful fish but there again it will get about 6 inches, so it will grow out of your tank as well, and they like to be kept in pairs. I would take the fryeri out and get something less aggressive. you may wake up one day and only have one fish. my personal favorite little cichlid, that is peaceful is the rams, there fun to watch and the color is good. they get about 3 inches. but that just my opinion. best of luck

Glaive
03-02-2003, 01:04 PM
I have become an addict like the rest of you. To ease up the aggression I went and bought two more fish and added more hiding places. After a day everything has relaxed some. I added a peacock and a Synodontis cat. The fryeri chased the peacock around for several hours and then tried to start up with the cat the cat and the fryeri went at it in circles on the bottom for ten minutes with the fryeri remaining dominant. However now some 36 hours later or so the fryeri nips at every one equaly during feeding and otherwise only chases them out of his tank spot when they come near him.

I will be buying a new tank <minimum 50 gallon> when I find a good deal. Figure I should have a 2-3 month grace period there. Got my last tank <55 gallon> at a garage sale for $50.

matt1066
03-05-2003, 07:25 PM
Hi Glaive,

You have a couple of nice fish there. I have kept H. Fryeri and never had an incidence of hyper-dominance. Actually I have found them to be on the most part peaceful fish. I also never kept them in groups as I believe, if I am not mistaken they are solitary predators. I have kept 1m and 3f and nothing happened aggression or otherwise. The A. compressiceps is an ambush predator and likes to hide in reed beds for cover. Why not try to add some jungle Vallisneria, plastic or otherwise. This may afford the comp somewhere to hide, I don't believe more caves will do it for him. A. comps also like crevises to hide in, so you may wish to provide a crevice or two.

You are a bit small in your tank size, you should attempt to up-grade to a 55g as soon as time/money permit, as both fish can get rather large.

Regards,

Matt

P.S. Is it your intention to mix lakes? Hap fry=Malawia A. comp=Tang

Glaive
03-05-2003, 08:16 PM
Thank you for the responce.

The mixing of lakes was accidental, as in I didn't know squat at the time, however that is changing swiftly. My "pet store" is a rather cool place with some fairly knowledgable peeps. I have been going there for my amphibians for years now. The young man whom helped me pick out the fish (used to breed cichlids before he started working at the store) originally told me the two julies the fryeri and the compri would go okay together. He warned that eventually I would either be buying a bigger tank or trading in.

I have noticed that the compriceps doesn't seem to care for the caves much or any of my flora, so I am going to try to get him more flora after a bit of research. One note with reguards to him, he seems to attract a good 50% of the fryeri's attention. However after watching them for a few weeks now he is the only fish that doesn't run he merely turns sideways. I read that this is how they deal with bullys and he seems fine. Then again he is the only one who doesn't mind the camera, the rest I have to trick....

matt1066
03-06-2003, 03:29 PM
Glaive,

Got pic's? Lets see :)

Regards,

Matt

Glaive
03-07-2003, 12:35 AM
I have pics at teh following quick toss together site

http://members.cox.net/glaive/cichlid/Index.html

yes I named my fish lol

matt1066
03-09-2003, 05:11 PM
Blue Rainbow rock? Never saw that before.

Regards,

Matt