PDA

View Full Version : proper filtration

Poet8102
02-25-2003, 11:37 AM
hey what do you guys think is the proper filtration for a 90 gal tank with two oscars and a blue acara with white sand substrate (assuming that the type of substrate matters). I already have a ac 500 running but do i need something else. I would really try to stay away from canisters though as they are too expensive for me.
thanks in advance for the help

Adam
02-25-2003, 02:50 PM
You should have all the water in your aquarium filtered 8-10 times per hour. Right now, you have about 428 g/h, and so you can't have an UGF because you have sand. Because canister filters are out of the question, an emperor filter, or another AC 500 would be good. I use two AC 500s on my 75 gallon, and it keeps the water nice and fresh. The emperor filter has less g/h, but it is better biologically. The AC 500 has more water flow, but sacrifices a bit on the biological side. Adding another foam insert to it would solve this problem, or other biological media.

WorldNation
02-25-2003, 04:53 PM
get a second AC 500. i got 2 on my 100gal. keeps my fish happy, and keps me happy:)

chc
03-01-2003, 09:22 PM
First I'd make sure the gravel isn't too deep (just enough to cover the glass). Most of the time, gravel just serves to trap debris.

I agree with the suggestion to add another power filter. I prefer the Emperors for a number of reasons. I think if you get one, you'll soon see the benefits. The important thing is not to let the filter material get too dirty. Clean out one cartridge or half a sponge every couple of days (i.e. never clean everything at once). You want to get the organics out of the system as quickly as possible.

You may want to addd a sponge filter also for additional bio-filtration. You can outfit a Hydro Sponge IV, for instance, with a small power head (you don't need a lot of pressure for a sponge; too much could actually slow down its filtering ability). Point the outlet of the power head across the bottm of the tank to stir up any settling debris.

You want good flow overall in all areas of the tank without creating a real "river-like" affect.

Also, remember that water changes are the fastest way to good water. Change about 25% a week at least (if you do more, still do 25% as a rule, but do it more frequently; not too important though since Oscars are tough).

Mbuniac
03-05-2003, 01:52 AM
Adam,
Why are canister filters out of the question?
Thx, Sam

chc
03-05-2003, 10:17 AM
The original post put them out of the question because of cost.

Mbuniac
03-05-2003, 03:38 PM
Ah hah! Now I get it! See how quickly I picked up on that :oops: