PDA

View Full Version : Starter bacteria?

ReesaPie
02-24-2003, 08:58 PM
At my work (yes, indeed Petsmart), we sell a few different brands of, i guess, "starter bacteria." Things from Biozyme to Stress Zyme and a few others. My question is, does this stuff really work? would it be at all helpful to me as i set up my new 40 gallon? personally i find it fairly hard to beleive that living bacteria is contained in these bottles (key word: living). My co-workers are undecided. One always recomends it, and another says don't even bother. What do you guys think?

Rudy
02-24-2003, 10:09 PM
I think they are a gimmick personally. You are always better off getting some gravel, or a sponge from a tank at the LFs and bringing it home. Then at least you know it is living.

Not to say that it wasn't bacteria at one time, but shipping fish products usually means it goes from one airport to the next or whatever and I am sure the stuff is exposed to weather conditions that are not that ideal for living bacteria.

Some say it works though. I just don't really trust it.

jonah
02-24-2003, 10:36 PM
To steal a great line from the author Douglas Addams, "Mostly harmless." It was his description of Earth, and mine of starter bacteria. :roll:

Not of any real benefit.

JB wind
02-24-2003, 10:40 PM
I agree with Rudy, just get some of the gravel or squeeze one of the sponges there at work if you can't take it home. good luck with the new tank :)

merlyn2221
02-24-2003, 10:56 PM
Hey Reesapie!

You could use what I use. It's a live liquid that must be refrigerated after you open it, but it works like a charm. It's called [b:1012200e6e]Bacter Vital Fresh Water Formula[/b:1012200e6e]. It is made by [i:1012200e6e]Marc Weiss Companies Inc.[/i:1012200e6e]

http://www.marcweissco.com/ Beware though, it gives a false high ammonia readings on some test kits. The packaging tells you how to convert your reading so you get a true result.

This is the cheapest I've found it, as compared to when I bought mine for $14.99 at the lfs. :shock: It's the cheapest I have found on the web too.

http://www.vmarine.com/aquariadepot/Index/xGenProductGroup716.html

ReesaPie
02-26-2003, 06:52 PM
[quote:4a708256e2]
Mostly harmless." It was his description of Earth, and mine of starter bacteria.
[/quote:4a708256e2]

I've read almost all of those books, they're great! :)

Thanks for the help, maybe I'll just be stealing most of the water and such from my other tanks. I don't really trust the water at Petsmart to be disease free.

WorldNation
02-26-2003, 07:11 PM
hey, ya work at petsmart too?:) wich one?:)

ReesaPie
02-27-2003, 04:29 PM
In Traverse City, Michigan

i work in specialties, (or aquatics, which ever you prefer)

WorldNation
02-28-2003, 12:29 AM
[quote:ab93c75280="ReesaPie"]In Traverse City, Michigan

i work in specialties, (or aquatics, which ever you prefer)[/quote:ab93c75280]

Hehehe,

Woodland Hills, California

Specialty as well:)

fOx
02-28-2003, 12:25 PM
I may be mistaken but Stresszyme and the like are not starter bacterias... they are additives that coat your fish and help them to keep healthy scales and the like. If you are talking about something like "Cycle" then I would say yes, it is a good way to speed up the time it takes your tank to establish beneficial bacteria that helps neutralize fish waste....

hope this helps, please post what it is exactley that you are thinking of adding to your tank.

fOx

jonah
02-28-2003, 05:15 PM
[quote:cdaab08b14="fOx"]I may be mistaken but Stresszyme and the like are not starter bacterias
fOx[/quote:cdaab08b14]

I think you are mistaken. StressCoat is the slime stuff, while StressZyme is the the starter bacteria stuff.

ReesaPie
02-28-2003, 10:15 PM
*this is me noding in agreence with jonah* :rofl:

ferdelance
03-12-2003, 11:12 AM
I have not had any luck with the bottled 'starter bacteria' , although
the Bacter Vital Fresh Water Formula sounds promising. The idea of taking gravel or sponge filter from an already established aquarium is the best one.
Just be wary of diseases. I have found that establishing the biological filter just takes time and until them you may have to treat ammonia or nitrites with water changes and Ammo-carb.