PDA

View Full Version : new member/ strange slime on filter ?

e
02-23-2003, 08:35 PM
Hi , my name is Eva and i just joined this forum , I wanted to say hi to everybody first and introduce myself. I have 5 fishtanks set up at this time , 4 of them house cichlids in one form or another. I have a 55 Mbuna tank , a 55 Oscar/dempsey tank a, a 30 hemichromis/citronella tank , a 90 community tank with kribs,blue acara and various non-cichlid fish,and a 10 gal tank with 2 feeder goldfish that were too cool to become dinner!
I love keeping fish , especially cichlids and wish to have many more, it is very addictive! I love to talk " fish" and learn from others! This seems to be a very cool site!! I was wondering if anyone has ever experienced this , in cleaning out my aquaclear overflow filter 2 days ago I discovered one of the sponges , the bottom one in the filter had colonies of white slime all over it, I threw it out , I rinsed the 2nd sponge in a bucket of tank water and put it back in. I purchased new sponges and am going to put one new one in with the cleaner old one to seed up the spnge with good bacteria. I have never encountered this stuff before , it was pretty revolting ! i have 2 oscars 1 dempsey ( half grown- about a year old on all 3) a lake victoria cichlid who rules the tank , a small pleco and an albino channel cat who is about 6 mos old and already getting too big for the tank. (he will be going into a friends outdoor pond this upcoming summer)
I have problems keeping the tank clean , it is a "pig pen" tank with messy messy fish! I try to be pretty good with the water changes , siphoning off about 50% per week but its getting worse, this white slime I have never seen before in my years of keeping fish. Does anyone have any clues or has run into this before,? it looked like bacterial colonies of some sort, and i had cleaned out my sponges about 2 weeks previous to this ( they get clogged pretty fas, the catfish is very spastic and stirs the water up often) and the slime had not been there at that time . I am curious if anyone has run into this before,
Thanks,
Eva

jonah
02-23-2003, 09:00 PM
[quote:850de223b5="e"]it looked like bacterial colonies of some sort, and i had cleaned out my sponges about 2 weeks previous to this[/quote:850de223b5]

That's what I would think it was. When you do the water changes, do you vaccuum the gravel? That might help, but that's just a guess. I've never run into the problem before.

Welcome to Cichlid Forums! :party:

Hopefully somebody with experience will chime in.

e
02-25-2003, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the welcome :D . I do vacuum the gravel but the channel cat is very spastic and he stirs stuff up as I clean . I just have to turn into a tank cleaning fiend untill the catfish gets evicted. :D
Eva

Rex Karr
02-26-2003, 11:00 PM
As Jonah said, Welcome!

On another note, you have quite a few large growing species, and few large tanks. You may want to begin thinking about future arrangements for the Oscars (16") and the Citronella if it is the Midas cichlids (14").

Good luck

heath
12-12-2003, 09:43 AM
i keep bullheads and they totally slime up the filter...may b your channel cat