PDA

View Full Version : Need Answer ASAP!!

merlyn2221
02-22-2003, 07:39 PM
Who has a metal tank stand?

I had to move my 55 gallon off the cabinet it was on because filled and decorated it weighs well over 600 lbs.

Here's my problem...I dismantle the whole tank, get it on the metal stand I got and there is big gap in the middle (between the tank and the metal). This gap ranges from 1/16" towards the sides of the tank to almost 1/4" in the middle, then back to the 1/16" gap. The gap is the same in the front of the tank as it is in the back.

This is why I moved the damn tank in the first place!!! There was a little gap (like about 1/8" in the middle) on the cabinet.

My husband is driving me crazy and my fish are stressed in the 20 gallon temporary housing. (Of course it was my husband who [i:0a1f9da7f6]made[/i:0a1f9da7f6] me move this tank in the first place...rotten non-fish person that he is. He's not concerned if my babies are stressed!)

What can I do? Do you think I could put something across the middle? How have you all handled this situation with metal stands?

I can return the stand, but this was the best one there.
Plus I need to do this NOW! :shock:

jonah
02-22-2003, 08:01 PM
I've got two 55g metal stands and neither one has a gap. You could lay a thick piece of plywood across the top and then place the tank on top of that. That should more evenly distribute the weight. Good luck.

matt1066
02-22-2003, 08:15 PM
Run out to home depot or such and get some styrofoam sheets, easy to find. lay it in the goove of the metal stand, and that will equalize the gaps.

Matt Felt may work well, dounle it up if needed

merlyn2221
02-22-2003, 08:21 PM
Thanks gentlemen!

To Home Depot I go!

matt1066
02-22-2003, 08:37 PM
Keep us posted, everything will worl out. :)

Matt

merlyn2221
02-23-2003, 06:51 AM
Ok, it's 7:30 A.M. and I just finished the tanks!

We had a piece of plywood upstairs, luckily and we also had the foam stuff laying around in the attic, so I didn't have to go to Home Depot after all.

Tom (my husband) cut the plywood to fit the tank, used the foam in the middle under the wood where there was the gap and it's done!

Got the filters powered up and the rocks in the tank. Then it was everyone out of the 20. They were all very happy.

My bio load is now huge, so I'll have to get another filter, but I want a 125 gallon anyway, so I'll just get one that can handle that.

Thanks you guys! Here's pictures of the newly re-set up tank. They're not great, but I'll take more when I'm more awake.

[img:f4e201c19b]http://www.cichlidgallery.com/albums/album45/Dscn0428.sized.jpg[/img:f4e201c19b]

[img:f4e201c19b]http://www.cichlidgallery.com/albums/album45/Dscn0429.sized.jpg[/img:f4e201c19b]

surfdude660
02-23-2003, 11:14 AM
wow!! amazing tank. what kind of rock is that red rock? looks great, what kind of fish do you keep in it?

merlyn2221
02-23-2003, 02:54 PM
Thanks! :D
After a whole day of rearranging and moving, it's finally done!

The red rock is lava rock that I got for just $1.29/lb at a lfs. I never see it anywhere but there. It's kind of heavy. What you see in my tank is about 25 lbs of it. I love red, so when I saw that I grabbed it up. I think it looks nice in contrast to the gray lace rock.

If you want to see my fish, go to this link: http://www.cichlidgallery.com/view_album.php?set_albumName=Merlyns-Mbuna

I will be putting more pics up today or tomorrow.

The current list of fish is:
2 Labidochromis caeruleus (1M, 1F) Electric Yellow
1 Nimbochromis venustus (F?)
1 Melanochromis auratus (M?)
2 Melanochromis johanni (1 M, 1?)
1 Pseudotropheus saulosi? (F?)
1 Pseudotopheus socolofi albino (M)
2 Pseudotropheus lombardoi (1M, 1F) Mbenji or Maylandia lombardoi
2 Pseudotropheus zebra (2M, 1 is albino) Red Zebra
or Maylandia estherae (I forget which is more correct)
2 Maylandia crabro (1M, 1F) Bumblebee or Hornet
3 Synodontis eupterus
1 Pareutropius buffei (Debaui/Debawi)

matt1066
02-23-2003, 04:20 PM
Merlyn,

I'm so happy it worked out. It looks terrific! Went and bought fish today, thought about your crisis on the way. No time now to look at your fish, but when I get a chance I can't wait to see them. I also need some help ID,ing a fish sold as a Blue and gold steveni, think it a Proto, but not sure.

Will get back to you later.

Well done :lol:

Matt

merlyn2221
02-23-2003, 04:30 PM
That's a gorgeous fish if this is what it looks like.

http://www.malawicichlids.com/mw08087b.htm

Great luck with it!

matt1066
02-23-2003, 04:43 PM
Merlyn,

Its funny you picked that one, I hade 3m and 3f Proto stev, taiwan reef-but traded them in.
The one I purchased looks like a Proto Spilonatus Tanzania. Except the caudal and anal fin are on the red side and its dorsal is edged in white then gold on the edge.

Any ideas?

Matt

Also purchased O. lithobates yellow blaze(gorgeous) and a Sci Fryeri. Almost bought a Venustus but they make me a little nervous.

matt1066
02-23-2003, 09:13 PM
I found out the mystery fish is a protomelas taeniolatus gold belly.

Found it on the www Nordiska Ciklidsallskapet sight.

merlyn2221
02-24-2003, 12:01 AM
Does it look anything like these? http://www.malawicichlids.com/mw08087a.htm

This is one awesome fish. I've been trying to get one at the lfs, but every time I get there, they're sold out. Gotta tell them to hold one for me.

This is my new favorite acquisition:
[img:83a28b90ee]http://www.cichlidgallery.com/albums/Merlyns-Mbuna/Dscn0529.sized.jpg[/img:83a28b90ee]

I just put up a whole bunch of new pics in [i:83a28b90ee]cichlidgallery.com[/i:83a28b90ee].
http://www.cichlidgallery.com/view_album.php?set_albumName=Merlyns-Mbuna

I love my digital camera!!! :D

(I'm waiting for Tom to ban me from posting any more pics.) :wink:

matt1066
02-24-2003, 03:35 PM
No thats not it, I do have a Red empress though. Look under the site a gave you, and open the Protomelas Gold Belly, thats him.

You tank photos look great, can't wait to get some photo's up myself.

What kind of fish is that? I am really a "Hap" man. The only psuedo's I have are albino and blue socolofi, and ps Msobo "deeps". One of my males is in detention at the moment.

see ya,

Matt

merlyn2221
02-24-2003, 07:32 PM
I look forward to your pictures.

That is a Red Zebra albino. I think it's a male, but it's still too small to tell for sure. I've seen him listed as Ps. zebra albino and Maylandia estherae albino. Basically I believe they're the same.

That site you wrote the link to is in Swedish. Um, I can't read Swedish...well only a little from what German I know. Is there an English version of the site? I couldn't find any link on the Swedish page.

matt1066
02-25-2003, 02:43 PM
see edit below

matt1066
02-25-2003, 02:49 PM
Hi Merlyn,

Try this:

www.Ciklid.se/bildarkivet_fisk.asp?FIRRE=1501&SLAKT=Protomelas.

How are the fish doing in ther new home?

Regards.

Matt, and I don't read Swedish either.

merlyn2221
02-25-2003, 07:19 PM
Ok, so I really do read Swedish!!! :lol:

I actually played around on that site and did see that fish, it was in a group of Protos though, so I wasn't sure since it didn't have the actual name under it like this link.

So, I'll say it again...what a gorgeous fish!!

I currently have a venustus (female I think based on my research) and it seems to be ok in with the mbuna. I do notice that they gang up on it from time to time, but I do fishy time out with the net. I put it in the tank and the venustus goes on one side while everyone else swims to the other side of the tank. Once in awhile they're nice and let it join the group. I was really hesitant at first to get it, but I do know someone else who has one with mbuna and it's fine. I really can't get too many haps around here. Everywhere mostly has just mbuna.

matt1066
02-25-2003, 07:44 PM
Thanks Merlyn,

I was thinking of adding a Venustus, have room for 1 more biggy.

If you want to take a road trip go to Bergen County and check out Mr. Fish in Oakland, great stuff, or try Rt 4 auqarium in Bloomfield. Just bring your cooler. they'll be fine.

See ya,

Matt ZZZZZZZZ

fOx
02-28-2003, 01:22 PM
My venustus is a female too and I have had no problems with her. But... I have seen real problems when a male is added. The males are cold blooded killers (no joke) they love to fight! So try and make sure that if you add one, it's a female.

Just my 0.02 cents... good luck

fOx