PDA

View Full Version : Fish Attack

HazeGirl
02-21-2003, 09:34 PM
I've got peacocks (3) in with a red zebra, I had 2 then got rid of one because of bullying. Now the one that's left, even though he's half the size, decided to take his place at the throne. Possibly to finnish off my very first cichlid who is already missing some fin tissue, and is starting to show some grey spots on his body.
What do I do!! :?:
Do I go back to the pet store with my fish and talk to the guy who already thinks I ask too many questions, and don't make enough decisions?
I know the answer is probably yes, but I feel funny bringing back half of my fish in one week. Guess that's what I get.
Oh, and I have melafix going right now, tomorrow will be the last day before I do some water changing. Otherwise everything is good wit da water.

jonah
02-21-2003, 10:15 PM
I'd take it back or get another tank.

FishoPhile J
02-22-2003, 10:19 PM
Do I go back to the pet store with my fish and talk to the guy who already thinks I ask too many questions, and don't make enough decisions?

---the only fish store people that think this are the one's that don't know the answers. (unfortunatly, this is most) but anyway, tankmates are hard to find. . . when i got my tank i too had 2 zebras, one almost got killed, took the bully back, then suffering post abuse trama, the wimp became more of a bully than the 1st. long story short, i had to go through 3 reds, 1 convict, 1 blue zebra, and a pleco before my tank settled down. keep with it, the lfs guy can deal with it.

FishoPhile J
02-22-2003, 10:26 PM
oh yeah, one more note.... for the guy missing his fins... get one of those little plastic "critter keeper"s with the flip up lid. use it as a "hospital tank" inside the big tank untill the little guy's fins get better (or use it as a 'time out' for the bully fish- your choice).

Adam
02-23-2003, 08:12 PM
If you are handy, you can make a critter keeper for either the bully or the not bully. Make a frame out of metal or straws or anything, a coat hanger, mc donald's straws, and stretch some panty hose over it, and put some corks on it so it floats, and have the top open. just make sure that he can't get out, so the corks may have to be attached to the panty hose

jonah
02-23-2003, 09:12 PM
One of our members used a plastic collander as an emergency seperator. The kind you use for draining spaghetti. Sounded like a good idea to me.

HazeGirl
02-24-2003, 09:20 AM
Thank you, I don't know what to do, I got rid of the 2nd red zebra, and now the female peacock is being the meanie. I'm beginning to think that having a peaceful tank is expensively impossible. I'm going to try out building safehouse, poor blue fish needs a break. My new peacock seems to be doing good, he's going to have beautiful colors. (still don't know what he is)

WorldNation
02-25-2003, 12:41 AM
hey! wha happen to my posts?....

grundle
02-25-2003, 02:38 AM
just get a icecream container and cut out a hole then fit some fliesceen or other mesh over it it seens 2 do the job in my tank

HazeGirl
02-25-2003, 10:31 AM
I'm sorry to report that bluefish is no longer with us.

FishoPhile J
02-26-2003, 02:09 PM
***poor little fish; he was a good blue guy... :cry:

merlyn2221
02-27-2003, 08:49 AM
Oh, Hazegirl, I am so sorry about Bluefish. :cry:

HazeGirl
02-27-2003, 04:26 PM
I grieved by buying new fish...
And now another one of my fish is hiding, I don't think it ever ends.
Why can't they all just get along!?

SGypsyMermaid
02-27-2003, 09:20 PM
what did you buy?

fOx
02-28-2003, 12:19 PM
When I read your post I decided not to say anything, because you can only do so much to curb the natural aggression of these fish. Cichlids are violent by nature, there is nothing you can do about it. If you want to try and curb the aggression you can try overstocking the tank and buy some more fish. However, the chasing, headbutts, fighting to establish a hierarchy and hiding are unavoidable with these fish.

They aren't goldfish... good luck.

fOx

SGypsyMermaid
02-28-2003, 01:45 PM
When I read your post I decided not to say anything, because you can only do so much to curb the natural aggression of these fish. Cichlids are violent by nature, there is nothing you can do about it. If you want to try and curb the aggression you can try overstocking the tank and buy some more fish. However, the chasing, headbutts, fighting to establish a hierarchy and hiding are unavoidable with these fish.

They aren't goldfish... good luck.

fOx

i have found that overstocking works very well to curb aggression in my cichlid tanks...it also helps if you try to consider the aggression levels of the fish that you place together. you must also consider that fish that get along fine as juveniles, may want nothing more than to kill each other when they're older.:eek:

HazeGirl
03-01-2003, 06:31 PM
The new Ahli took out my mystery peacock, my fault, the whole metallically blue issue. I'm learning fast, I've been trying to stock my tank but with money issues it's not the easiest thing to do, especially when they fight and dissappear all the time. And when the lfs card machiene currently doesn't like discover. Just waiting on the tax return.

FishoPhile J
03-02-2003, 12:14 PM
--My fish didn't calm down untill i completely filled my tank with rocks.. as soon as they all got a crack to hide in, they were cool.

SGypsyMermaid
03-03-2003, 05:24 PM
--My fish didn't calm down untill i completely filled my tank with rocks.. as soon as they all got a crack to hide in, they were cool.

i'm with you, there. tanks with wide open spaces look very pretty, but rockpiles have less aggression.

tankgirl g
03-05-2003, 12:39 PM
I've got major bullies too. Most everyone is getting along now (ie - not killing each other), but I'm trying to rehab an injured Compressiceps now :( (Anyone with knowledge on this - please check out my post!) Anyway, the one thing that works well for me is making sure that you have TONS of hiding spaces! That way the bullied fish can get a break from the bullies. The lava rocks sold as "FellerStone" work well...little expensive though!

Good Luck!