PDA

View Full Version : how to condition water when using the python

bennings89
02-21-2003, 04:17 PM
hello,
I have had the python for some months now and everytime I use it to clean and perform a water change I get algea blooms. I usually do a 15-20 percent water change every week or two. I live in an apartment with public water. You can actually smell the clorine in the water. The clorine that keeps the water also kills the bacteria in the tank and filters.

What do you guys recommend?

I came up with this:
1) Turn off filters
2) Remove water and clean tank
3) Add tank water conditioner
4) Add water at correct temperature
5) Wait 20-30 Minutes for conditioners to work
6) Restart filter

Is there anything else to do?

Rudy
02-21-2003, 04:24 PM
Sound good to me. Do conditioners really take that long to work??

Instead of turning off your filter add a phosphate sponge and carbon mixture to your filter.

bennings89
02-21-2003, 05:01 PM
Thanks Rudy,
I am running a tetratec 500 will the phosphate filter fit into the filter or would i have to be running a different type of filter? I am also running a biowheel off of a powerhead but I can't add any filtration to that.

chc
02-26-2003, 11:53 PM
The algae problem may be the phosphate in the tap water. If it were me, I'd get a 45 gallon rubbermaid trash can and use it for treating water. Also, if you get a cheap bubble up box filter, you can fill it with the phosphate material (or a general broad spectrum one like Poly Filter). Let the water sit in there for a couple of days before using it. The aeration from the bubble up and the chemicals will remove the chlorine, etc. and the phosphate pad will have a shot at the phosphate before it fattens up your algae in the tank.

I don't know what size tank you have, so you may be able to make do with a smaller container. Also, if you're only replacing 15% or so of the water, room temperature is fine as it will hardly adjust the overall temperature at all.

Also, I am assuming you are NOT changing filter cartridges the same day you make water changes. Obviously, that would lead to bio-filtration issues.

DrFong
02-24-2004, 11:16 PM
Here's an idea, bennings:
After the water change, instead of waiting 30 minutes w/ your filters off, you should take out the filter cartridges and remove your bio wheel. This will keep your bacteria colonies safe. Now turn on both filters and let them run for about 10 minutes or so. This will ensure better mixing than simply letting the conditioner mix in thru natural diffusion (a fairly slow process). After about 10 minutes, the conditioners will be throughly mixed in to your water and chlorine won't be a problem; now replace your filter cartridges and bio wheel.

From an engineering standpoint, this should work and should save you a lot of time. Both chemical and thermal diffusion act much slower if a fluid is stagnant; this is why you stir cream into your coffee instead of just waiting for it to mix on its own. I'm thinking about getting a python when I upgrade to a larger tank - please let me know if this works. Thanks,
-CJ

King Midas
02-25-2004, 10:23 AM
The trash bucket idea is the way to go. Fill it up with water and condition it there. then just siphon it into your tank.

the209jungalist
02-25-2004, 02:17 PM
One problem though, Pythons work from using water pressure from your water spigot. You suck the water out using water pressure, then move a little part on the spigot thing and the flow will reverse and blow water into the tank.

I'm in the same boat you are you can smell the chlorine and chloramines in the tap water, not much different than pool water.

Midas
02-27-2004, 12:57 AM
I use a activated carbon filter inline on the hose leading back to the tank from the python. The filter removes chlorine and some other contaminants too (if present) before the water gets to the tank. They are quite common over here in NZ, people normally use them to filter water that they drink (to remove bad tastes/odours etc in the water) and they are either plumbed into the water line or sit on the kicthen bench top. I have to replace the carbon carteridge once a year NZ$60 and the filter housing initially cost NZ$90 (NZ$ is about 0.68 $US at present). This works out much cheaper than dechlorinator if you have much more than a few gallons of water to change.

If you get one just make sure it is one that filters at a decent flow rate. Some have quite a large pressure drop and hence the water flow back to the tank slows to a trickle. Also only connect the filter to the python when filling, not emptying, otherwise you will end up with all the crap from your dirty tank water in your filter (I use a completely different hoses to fill and to empty).

chc
02-27-2004, 12:26 PM
That should work well assuming you only have chlorine issues...... chloramines are more difficult to eliminate. Good advice.