PDA

View Full Version : Synodontis Multi's, Eupterus

matt1066
02-19-2003, 07:32 PM
Hi All,

I recentley purchased 2 multi's and 1 eupterus. My question is on feeding.
The fish hide all day long, although they are becoming a bit braver lately, they don't show themselves at feeding time. Before I go to bed I turn off the lights and put in some cichlid pellets, and I am not sure they are getting the proper nutrition. Is this the right thing to do?

I know the eupterus is getting food because he is noticeably larger. I thought about removing many of the hidey holes, but then I thought that would be un-natural. I'm also concerned about my water quality with the addition of the nightly feed. I have not noticed any decline as of yet.

Appreciate th feed-back

Matt :?:

merlyn2221
02-20-2003, 09:00 PM
Hey Matt, I have 3 Synodontis eupterus. They were about an inch long when I got them, now they are approaching 3 1/2" long. Most Synos have the same habits, so this should apply to your multipunctatus as well.
They like each other's company and hide most of the time, but come out at night and are very active. For the first month I had them, I kept saying to my husband, "They're all dead. I can't find them anywhere. These mbuna had an expensive snack!" Every time I'd rearrange the rocks and clean the tank, I'd look for them and once in awhile one would scurry out from his hiding place.
I feed them sinking algae discs on a daily basis. I break about 5 of them up into small chunks and throw them all around the tank a little after the lights are out in the tank. It has never affected my water quality at all. Just don't dump in a handful! :lol:
My "pigs with wings" aka mbuna eat the discs too, so there is never any waste. The Synos love these discs and it has obviously helped them to grow well.
After a few months they'll come out where you can see them, but you will need to have the main tank lights off and some alternate source of light in the room to really be able to see them. They're so cute! I'm hoping to get some multipuntatus from the lfs, because I love them so much.
Let me know how they are doing! :D

matt1066
02-21-2003, 07:09 PM
Hi Merlyn,

Thanks for the reply, I thought I was forsaken :lol:

I'll try what you said. Are the algae wafers enough or should I vary it with something else? I have a multitude of different food available. Nothing live though.

Thank you,

matt

merlyn2221
02-21-2003, 09:07 PM
Hey Matt:

I'm not super sure of this, but I think that they are primarily algae eaters. I know that mine eat pretty much anything that drops to the tank bottom, but I don't feed my mbuna a high protein diet, so it seems ok. Once a week I give them a food that has higher fish protein in it than the regular algae food, also a sinking disc made especially for bottom feeders. Both the foods I use for them are made by Hikari, but that is just my personal choice.

SGypsyMermaid
02-21-2003, 09:24 PM
here's some syno info, guys: http://www.mongabay.com/fish/mochocidae.htm

with the eupterus growing so much faster than the multis, you may think that the multis are not getting enough to eat, but it's just that tangs on the whole, grow very slowly.

Noelemac
02-21-2003, 10:06 PM
I've got a syno eupterus also in with my Mbuna and it stays out now. It's been a couple months since I've had him. Also a rescued spotted Raphael from my brothers tank is now beginning to come out at dinner time with the lights on. He found a very good hideing place from the bottom up into my texas rock. I've seen him go back there. But I've got 4 full grown mbuna and bout 20 2" to 4" juvies in there.

Mbuniac
02-21-2003, 11:25 PM
HEY!!! You guys didn't know it, but you just saved the life of my Syn. contractus. I had my M. lombardoi in solitary confinement in a 29 gal. tank along with my 1.5" contractus. Today when I came home with a new 8" D. compressiceps, I moved the Kenyi to a 20 gal. tank and put the compressiceps in the 29. Guess who I left in the 29 with him :shock: :?:
After reading your posts about synos, I thought "OH S**T". I found the little guy behind a plant, took the net and scooped up fish, gravel and plant and moved him to the 20. I think he might have become a late night snack. So thanks for kick starting my brain.
Sam

matt1066
02-22-2003, 04:43 PM
SgypsyMermaid et al,

Thanks for the input, great sight Sgypsy :)

Regards,

Matt