PDA

View Full Version : no air pump?

FishoPhile J
02-18-2003, 08:47 PM
hey, i've been told by numerous people that if your filter breaks the surface of the h2o, that an air pump is not neccisary... does this mean that it accually needs to make the trickling sound or is a strong surface current sufficient? and what does a fish look like if it's not getting enough air? i would hate for them to drown.

jonah
02-18-2003, 10:25 PM
Strong surface current is usually enough. Oxygen starved fish will gasp at the top of the tank (especially in the morning if you have a planted tank).

WorldNation
02-19-2003, 12:08 AM
[quote:d3d3b350a7="jonah"]Strong surface current is usually enough. Oxygen starved fish will gasp at the top of the tank (especially in the morning if you have a planted tank).[/quote:d3d3b350a7]

why in the morning in a planeted tank?...don't plants..like....uhm....make oxygen? :lol: :wink:

and oxygen is put into the water through surface tention...meaning that when the water goes through the filter, its automatically oxyginated. u dont need to see "Bubbles" for the water to be oxyginated.

jonah
02-19-2003, 05:59 AM
[quote:6415b767a7="WorldNation"]
why in the morning in a planeted tank?...don't plants..like....uhm....make oxygen? :lol: :wink:

[/quote:6415b767a7]

At night, instead of oxygen, the plants release co2, which creates oxygen starved conditions if the tank is both heavily planted and heavily stocked without much surface movement.

Adam
02-19-2003, 06:44 PM
Haha, i was just about to say the exact same thing, but i scrolled down and jonah took the words out of my mouth. :lol:

FishoPhile J
02-19-2003, 10:35 PM
ok, so i tried unplugging the air pump this morning, and by 5p, the fish looked like they were 'gasping' but none were near the top of the tank. there's one hell of a current (2 hot magnums on a 29gal), so i should think that wouldn't be a problem, but after turning the bubble wand on for a while, it seemed like they calmed down. How long do you think it would take for them to use all the air in a tank? and is there any way to test for the amount of dissolved o2?

fOx
02-20-2003, 02:28 PM
you can buy a kit to test for disolved oxygen in your tank. As long as the fish weren't at the surface gulping for air (above the water level) then chances are they were just breathing regularly.

Just make sure one of your powerheads is pointed at the surface of the water, or if you have a filter out put it at the top of the water level, to agitate the surface and create oxygen exchange between the water and air.

you're fish will be fine...

fOx

jnorris
02-20-2003, 07:42 PM
I don't use an air pump and its all good.

DaCiChLiDMaStEr
02-23-2003, 02:08 PM
Am I the only one thinking that 2 Hot magnums for a 29 gal tank is more than sufficient ?? One should be plenty, without the need for an air pump.

FishoPhile J
02-23-2003, 04:52 PM
[quote:69914164e7]Am I the only one thinking that 2 Hot magnums for a 29 gal tank is more than sufficient ?? One should be plenty, without the need for an air pump.[/quote:69914164e7]

-- i thought the same thing, but i also have about 75 little babies on one side of the tank... they alone can clog one of the filters in less than a month... i also plan on getting a bigger tank (if i can talk the girlfriend into it), and you can never have too much filtration.

Mbuniac
03-01-2003, 01:18 AM
The water gets about 90% of its oxygen by disturbing the surface tension. Powerfilters and powerheads (that are aimed to break the surface are far more effective than air pumps, and quieter too!

FishoPhile J
03-02-2003, 12:28 PM
[quote:e49e329042] and quieter too![/quote:e49e329042]

--yes... we like quiet.

jovetata
03-08-2003, 01:01 AM
so like... i have a power head that has a line going out of the water, to suck in air and it spits bubbles into the water, but the stream isnt close to the surface. is this ok? or do i have to have the stream sturring up the water surface for it to work? my fish dont seem to be gasping or anywhere near the surface so im ok right?

fOx
03-08-2003, 08:57 AM
The bubbles are serving to aggitate the surface. :D As they rise they create turbulence and that turbulence agitates the surface and facilitates the oxygen exchange...

fOx

chc
03-08-2003, 10:20 PM
Good thoughts here. Keep them coming.....

BTW... you need to make sure there is movement not only at the surface but also throughout the water column. The surface layer can be high in disolved oxygen, but the carrying capacity of the water is dependent on the overall oxygen content of the entire tank. Go for surface agitation and some sort of lower level stirring also.

Note: A few posts up the writer commented that they turned off the air pump and the fish looked as though they were breathing more heavily but not seriously so. I agree that with the equipment specified (two HOT Magnums on a 29) it would appear there should already be plenty of disolved oxygen with or without the air pump..... BUT ANY SUDDEN CHANGE IN THE BEHAVIOR OF YOUR FISH IS THE FIRST SIGN OF TROUBLE. All things must be considered in context. For instance, even though it would appear there is enough agitation to allow for enough disolved oxygen, the air pump was clearly playing an important role. I would suggest immediately checking your water for elevated ammonia or nitrite problems as both circumstances impair the respiration of fish. The fish may have actually been just barely making it with the air pump running. They may have needed the extra agitation to help them respire in less than ideal water conditions.

In the case of the noted 29 gallon, I would immediately make a 30% water change. I would save some of the water I removed from the tank for testing (at the local fish store if you do not already have test kits). I'd aim one HOT return toward the bottom of the tank at a slight angle, and I'd aim the other return directly across the water surface. I would also run the air pump until I figured out the water issue. Whenever fish are stressed, they require more oxygen (in fact, the removal of their once familiar "wall of bubbles" could have been enough in some cases to cause them to respire more heavily due to the stress of the changing environment.......).

Let us know how the water tests turn out............ good case study........

FishoPhile J
03-09-2003, 01:15 PM
update: chc made some good points here... the thought of different 02 levels at the bottom never occured to me, but t makes alot of sense. i think the problem was due in part to a bunch of babies partitioned on one side of the tank (they get one hot, the big guys get the other), and in part to the circulation (the one's that were 'gasping' were at the bottom of a Big pile of rocks). i have since dropped the # of babies by about 60% (thanx to the lfs $$ -sucka gives me $1 each for convict babies) and killed the air pump all together. everything seems to be going well, and with any luck i'll turn the 29 into a 50/ 65gal in about 2 months (birthday's coming... might treat myself:party: ).