PDA

View Full Version : New 75G tank -Cycle Question

newdamage1
05-22-2005, 04:00 PM
Howdy folks!

Just purchased a new 75G tank a few days ago, which I plan on moving the contents of my old 29G to.

My question is, when I steal my old filter and its bacteria and move it over to the new tank (old and new filter unit use the same size filter, Just the new one uses four.) Can I move the fish at the same time?

From my understanding of how tanks cycle (which may be wrong hence this post) If you had a filter from a cycled tank you should be ok. (I also moved 7 Gallons of water from old tank to new tank to help things along when I did my water change on old tank.)

Anywho, The wife wants old tank gone ASAP, so any helpful suggestions would be greatly apprecated.

PS here's a pic of the tank, it's still a little cloudy from the sand, but you get the idea of what it will look like in the end (still need a few more rocks and plants though.)
75g (http://seabass.dynup.net/new75g.jpg)

Kelly

Heyguy74
05-22-2005, 10:08 PM
Welcome to the forums,
I would put the fish in right away. This will keep your old filters bacteria alive. If you dont put the fish in the bacteria will have nothing to eat. Your tank will still cycle but hopefully the old filter should speed the process up. I wouldn't add any new fish in there just yet. Just add the ones you have. After it is cycled you can think about adding more fish. BTW, What type of fish do you have? What kind of filter is it?

djfungus
05-23-2005, 08:56 AM
Thats gonna look good, I love the rocks!

newdamage1
05-23-2005, 12:19 PM
Heyguy: Thanks for the advice, currently I have 4 Cichlids (3 are red zebras, the other.... I'm not so sure about; I think it's a "bumble bee". ) Then I got 4 Clown loaches and 2 dainios from a friend that moved a few months back. Surprisingly enough, every body got along in the 29g tank.

DJ: thanks for the nice comment, believe it or not, that pic doesn't do it justice. All the river rocks are a pale blue. I'm not a 100% on the blue background; I may turn it around and see how the tank looks with it black. I'll bust out the tripod when the water has cleared up and get a better shot. (and there is more than a few fish it it! :wink: )

Thanks guys!!

Kelly