PDA

View Full Version : Fresh water

gabrielparr
05-07-2005, 06:15 PM
I'm four months into the hobby with a 75 gal. tank.

I'm currently using a Python to remove water, and a 5 gal. bucket to add water. I'm mixing in1/2 teaspoon of Neutral Regulater with every 5 gallons added. I also have to add a little buffer because I have a high pH out of the tap.

Is there an easier way to do this? All this work is worth it but I want another tank.

Thanks

Chewy
05-07-2005, 08:15 PM
get another python and use as filler....

frankly I just drain the python back at the sink and fill the tank with the python. can spend about 8 hrs a week for the nine plus tanks I have dpending on what is in the tanks.

gabrielparr
05-08-2005, 06:37 AM
How do you de-chlorinate?

Glaive
05-08-2005, 07:23 AM
many people will dechlorinate as they fill just dirrectly into the tank. I'm not a fan of it but many do this with no problems.

Rockriverfish
05-08-2005, 09:49 PM
What types of cichlids are you keeping gabrielparr? The reason that I ask is two-fold. First, IME some species are a bit more sensitive to water changes (ie need constant temp, no ph swing, etc) Secondly, I am wondering if you really need to be modifying the water with the buffer you are adding. I have never liked the idea of messing with buffer/ph. Usually it sets you up for possible ph crashes, and the fluctuations can be just as bad over time, not to mention the added cost and hassle. For my mbuna tanks I just fill directly from the sink with the python, adding de-chlorinator as I go. For my young Tanganyikans and fry tanks, I do the "bucket-thing" since these are a little more sensitive.

If you don't want to fill directly from tap, and are sick of carrying buckets, you could try setting up a water storage system. Get a large rubbermaid trash can or other such container, fill with water, add de-chlorinator, buffers, etc and use a small submersible pump to move water to the tanks.

gabrielparr
05-08-2005, 10:22 PM
Thanks for all the imput.

I have Blue Acaras, Firemouths, Cackatoo Dwarfs, and Ruby Rams.

I bring my pH from 8.2 out of the tap to 6.6-6.8 for the tanks.

Yes it's a hassle but my tank stays very constant.

djfungus
05-09-2005, 09:23 AM
What do you have for decorations in your tank? Some things will make your ph rise, while others will lower it. If you have anything in there that rises a ph, like coral, lava rock, or anything like that...take it out. Try putting some driftwood in your tank, it will help keep your ph lower. Same with putting peet moss in your filter. If you can naturally get your ph down a bit, this will help your tank alot more than risking the fluctuations with the chemical buffers.

I use my DIY python to refill my tank and it works just fine for me. I add my dechlorinator directly to my tank before I start filling. I add the recommended amount for my total tank volume.