PDA

View Full Version : Urgent My Nitrite test kit is reading 5ppm!!!

Delow317
02-16-2003, 06:58 PM
I just recently set up my 60 gallon tank again and it has been running for about 3 weeks now. After the first week I added 2 Maneguenses and 1 1/2 inch Rd about a week after that. My Rd which I added a week after the 2 Managuenses ended up killing both of them despite him being less than half their size and being added a week after they established their territory. :? Either way I'm down to just this beautiful dark orange citrinellum (I think) and my 4 inch pleco who is being intimidated as we speak.

Anyhow this is the first time Im checking the water quality since I set up the tank and I was kinda worried about this. I'm using the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Master liquid (not dry tab) test kit and heres what I found..
Ammonia- 0ppm
Ph-7.4
Nitrite-5ppm!!! :!:

I guess tomorrow after work, I'll carry out a 20% water change using the hose in the back yard through the window. I'm just worry about a temperature shock though. It's been kinda cold and gloomy in S California these past few days. Is this what I should plan on doing or does anyone else have any suggestions? I really love this Rd even though he did kill two fish twice his size which were in the tank a week before he was. :twisted: Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Rex Karr
02-16-2003, 10:43 PM
Delow317"]I just recently set up my 60 gallon tank again and it has been running for about 3 weeks now. After the first week I added 2 Maneguenses and 1 1/2 inch Rd about a week after that. My Rd which I added a week after the 2 Managuenses ended up killing both of them despite him being less than half their size and being added a week after they established their territory. :? Either way I'm down to just this beautiful dark orange citrinellum (I think) and my 4 inch pleco who is being intimidated as we speak.

Anyhow this is the first time Im checking the water quality since I set up the tank and I was kinda worried about this. I'm using the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Master liquid (not dry tab) test kit and heres what I found..
Ammonia- 0ppm
Ph-7.4
Nitrite-5ppm!!! :!:

I guess tomorrow after work, I'll carry out a 20% water change using the hose in the back yard through the window. I'm just worry about a temperature shock though. It's been kinda cold and gloomy in S California these past few days. Is this what I should plan on doing or does anyone else have any suggestions? I really love this Rd even though he did kill two fish twice his size which were in the tank a week before he was. :twisted: Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Hhhmm, you shoud have cycled the tank before adding any cichlids. But now that its this far your tank is nearly cycled, and the ammonia and nitrites were most likely quite high not to long ago. At this poit, I would just add some old filter media from another tank if you can, and do that water change, and another one in a few more days.

And try to get a Python water changer. it will hook up to your faucet, and make water changed EASY.

Rex

mk_ultra
02-22-2003, 09:57 PM
You can add Bio-spira bacteria. fairly cheap and works real weel. also Seachem amkes a great product called Prime that has saved many of ill cycled tanks from ammonia and nitriate poisoning.

Mbuniac
03-22-2003, 09:31 PM
Also, if you trust the cleanliness and have a good relationship with your local IFS they might let you take some water squeezings from the foam filters in their tanks. It will be loaded with benefical bacteria ready to turn that nitrite into nitrate. LOL

chc
04-05-2003, 10:34 AM
Rex is right. The tank never had a chance to cycle. That process takes about six weeks (more at times) even in the best circumstances. I wouldn't add any bacteria cultures or do anything drastic at the moment (except make small water changes). Starter cultures have not been proven to be effective in all cases, not with the speed suggested at least. You obviously have a waste load in the tank already, and you've graduated from ammonia to nitrite, so the cycle is well underway already. I wouldn't do anything to disturb that or you may face another six week ramp up period!

Do not add any more fish until your nitrite readings drop to zero and you see a slow growth in nitrate readings. Your remaining fish are likely tough enough to survive will no ill effects if you take your time here (the pleco will be the most stressed though). Once cycling is completed, add more fish GRADUALLY!

The suggestion to get a Python water changer is right on. Alternatively, you could get a water bed pump at WalMart (cheaper, but I prefer the Python). You won't believe how much easier things become for you then. If you only have one or two tanks, water changing is no longer a chore like it used to be (too bad that one or two comment doesn't apply to me!).

For the moment, how about just getting the temperature right in the bathtub and using a bucket to change water? You really don't want to stress the fish by using hose water too cool in temperature, and you can mix the dechlorinator, etc. in before the water goes into the tank.

Delow317
04-14-2003, 02:19 AM
Man its been a while since I last posted here. I've been busy with Job Stress and the my New Xbox and Gc, so I've been away from my pc for a month or two. Anyhow I just wanted to say thanks for the suggestions everyone left. Especially about the Python! I will be getting one soon.

As far as my tank goes its doing fine. I check the water for Ammonia, Nitrite, and Ph atleast every other week now and everything is stable. My Red Devil (I think because I'm still confused to whether it is a Midas or an Rd) has grown to about 3 and a half inches including his tail and he has almost all but killed my poor pleco. I'm pretty sure its a male because of what I've been told about the finnage and the head. He sure acts like a punk too, turning into a monster like jeckel and hyde every time I turn out the lights in the room and turn on the aquarium hood.

What I'd really like to do is Post a pic of my fish and my tank sometime, once I get my hands on a digital camera. I'm still really a newbie when it comes to pc's and stuff, but I'm sure I could figure out how to post a pic. Anyhow when I get around to it, maybe I'll post one over in a yahoo mail account or maybe even here If i can.
I know Rex will definitly be able to shed some light on the sex and the species! Untill I get around to that though.. Later all.
And thx again for the help.:D

Rex Karr
04-15-2003, 08:16 PM
If you get a pic up, I'll certainly try to help. I'm sure CHC and others can help too. If you want you can post your pics at the cichlidgallery. There should be more info about that pinned to the top of the photo gallery.

Rex