PDA

View Full Version : moving,diffrent water type,HELP

SHADYGREGA
04-21-2005, 12:01 PM
IM MOVING in a couple of weeks and right now i have city water.i will be going where there is well water.my fish all do fine with the city water where all i have to do is add conditioner to the water every water change.how will they do when i go to well water which is diffrent from there normal water.what recomondations(sp)does everyone have?they would be greatly appreciated!!!!!thanks in advance

cichgirl
04-21-2005, 12:18 PM
Hey, I went through the same thing. I just gave them a little extra time in their transport containers and added the new water little by little until it was about half and half. It was winter and their water got cold in the move - I thought all the factors were against their survival. Took about an hour to acclimate - the only fish I lost were fry. Good luck!

Heyguy74
04-21-2005, 12:28 PM
Can you test the water from your new place? This way you know what your walking into, before you get there. This should give you time to prepare.

SHADYGREGA
04-21-2005, 01:05 PM
yeah i can test it.i would think there would be less chemicals in well water than city water, which might make it easier , i just dont want to lose any of my fish.there part of the family and my kids would be devastated.thanks guys

cichgirl
04-21-2005, 01:11 PM
Keep in mind that you might find more metals in well water especially if it is a drilled well. You MAY have to condition your water still. I'm not sure about where you are moving to but we have a water softener due to high iron content. Well water quality can change seasonally.

SHADYGREGA
04-21-2005, 01:20 PM
our new house has a softener.how does your water due with a softener

cichgirl
04-22-2005, 06:46 AM
My water is great! The fish seem to love it & it tastes great & doesn't leave stains... I've been in the house 4 months and my fish are happy and healthy. When they got set up they were stressed for a while from the cold, miserable move but bounced back - they seem to have more energy now and even my big oscar got bigger....

Heyguy74
04-22-2005, 08:42 AM
Since you'll have a softner, chances are you'll never have to add aquairum salt. When I lived at my parents house, the softner system worked great at keeping the water free of most crap. Unfortunatly the water began to get that rotten eggs smell, so my father added a clorine doser to the system. This eliminated the smell, but then I had to remove the clorine just like tap water. Just something to check before you bring your fish over.