PDA

View Full Version : Types of food

Adam
02-15-2003, 08:45 PM
I feed my n.leleupi, n.brichardi and j. regani frozen bloodworms one day, frozen brine shrimp another day, and wardley's cichlid crumbles the third day. I've had the fish for about a week, is there a problem with this regiment? Too much protein? I want to be feeding them the best food I can, and to get them in the mood to breed, but is that too much frozen food?

SGypsyMermaid
02-15-2003, 09:28 PM
those fish are meat-eaters...micropredators, i believe. your feeding regimen should be fine, in my opinion.

Adam
02-15-2003, 09:47 PM
Good, they seem to like the food anyways. Other than frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp, what else can I purchase that is frozen? I have had bad experiences raising my own brine shrimp, so I don't do it. Wow, I love my fish, my parents called, I told them I had bought a 220 gallon aquarium, all they said is, another? You're going to turn our house into a swimming pool. So that was a good reaction, now all I have to do is save the money to actually buy it, or maybe I will make one of those concrete jobs...

SGypsyMermaid
02-15-2003, 10:15 PM
i would limit the bloodworms to once a week, though--they have a high fat content.

thefishmonger
02-15-2003, 10:34 PM
i would limit the bloodworms to once a week, though--they have a high fat content.

oh no we want fat happy fish!!! just like fat happy cats right?? :D :D :D j/k

Peace
Anna

matt1066
02-16-2003, 05:45 PM
Buy yourself some cooked shrimp, freeze them and then take a razor blade and shave off what you need and in what size the fish can eat.

Drop the cut shrimp in a bit of water then into the tank it goes. you can do the same think with any non-oily fish, clams, crab etc...

i tried frozen raw seafood and they liked and believed digested the cooked items better.

Matt

02-16-2003, 05:51 PM
As for other frozens you can use the Emerald Entree is good for my Lake Malawi Cichlids for sure. It has Kelp, romaine lettece, algea, krill and some other good stuff. Its in the cubes like the brine shrimp enriched with spirulina I have. Both by Sallys San Fransisco Brand.

matt1066
02-16-2003, 06:11 PM
Ive tried those frozen entrees, but I find they foul the water, Is there a secret in feeding it to them?

Thanks

Matt

02-16-2003, 06:33 PM
I let is thaw in a little bit of water (less than a half of cube) in a glass. Flip the switch on my surge protector to kill the filters and just dump it in, then once they get done I kick the filters back on to suck up and excess or small pieces not eaten. I havent had any water problems. The only reason I turn the filters off cuz I got in the habit of doing it with the brine shrimp cuz once I thaw it the filters suck it up fast.. same with the entree. mad filtration

matt1066
02-16-2003, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the fo, I also hit the swith on my power strip. I guess I am paranoid about my water quality, I go ballistic with anything above 5ppm of nitrate.

I know I am nerotic about my water parameters :roll:

Thanks,

Matt