PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Fry...need help identifying

angelhf13
02-15-2003, 06:29 PM
Ok, about 3 or 4 weeks ago 3 little fry appeared in my tank. In this tank there are 2 P. Saulosis (male and female) 2 M. Jojannii (both male) and 2 peacocks that Im not too sure of. LPS said they were Tanzanian...the male sort of resembles an Aulonacara heuseri, but with a whitish stripe on the head like a sulferhead. The female is quite a bit smaller, and is silver with one horizontal stripe down the middle, and very pale broken thicker vertical stripes. Anyway, the female Saulosi was holding, so I did expect fry. Only about a week sooner than I expected these fry, I found 3 fry hiding in the corner of the tank. I was only able to save one of them. I assumed this was the Saulosi fry and I had just counted the days incorrectly. Well, now that this little guy has begun to grow, he looks almost identical to the peacock female. He is silver with a broken vertical stripe. I never saw the peacocks spawn...they never showed me any evidence of spawning. ????? Are peacocks mouth brooders as well? I dont know what baby P. Saulosi look like, or any fry for that matter....Im so new at this! My little yellow labs are pale yellow, so I expected my P. Saulosi to be pale orange since the female is orange. Any thoughts? Thanx!

SGypsyMermaid
02-15-2003, 08:00 PM
Well, now that this little guy has begun to grow, he looks almost identical to the peacock female. He is silver with a broken vertical stripe. I never saw the peacocks spawn...they never showed me any evidence of spawning. ????? Are peacocks mouth brooders as well? I dont know what baby P. Saulosi look like, or any fry for that matter....Im so new at this! My little yellow labs are pale yellow, so I expected my P. Saulosi to be pale orange since the female is orange. Any thoughts? Thanx!

you're right...babies should look exactly like their moms. it's very common for spawning to occur when the aquarist is not looking. :D peacocks are also mouthbrooders. maybe your peacock only had a couple of eggs in her mouth, so the bulge wasn't noticeable?

angelhf13
02-15-2003, 08:21 PM
Shame on those peacocks!!! I watch my aquariums more than I watch TV!! Sneaky little fish!! There were only 3 fry (2 got eaten as I was trying to catch them :cry: ), so I guess she was only carrying a few eggs. Im surprised though. Those Saulosis are spawning like crazy, I just knew Id get babies from them first, but mom keeps spitting the eggs out every time. I'll watch her spit them out, try to eat, then scramble to pick them back up. I thinks shes eventually losing them all. Ive got enough fry right now anyway. The one lone peacock and 15 yellow lab fry are in the nursery tank now. I know I shouldn't, but I know I"ll be scooping up mom and saving the fry every time one of them holds. A few cichlids sure do turn into a lot of cichlids in a short time.....but I'm lovin every minute of it! Is this bad?? :rotfl: Thanx again!

SGypsyMermaid
02-15-2003, 08:27 PM
Shame on those peacocks!!! I watch my aquariums more than I watch TV!! Sneaky little fish!! :D

I'll watch her spit them out, try to eat, then scramble to pick them back up. I thinks shes eventually losing them all. oh my! greedy, isn't she?

A few cichlids sure do turn into a lot of cichlids in a short time.....but I'm lovin every minute of it! Is this bad?? 'course not!! :twisted:

angelhf13
02-18-2003, 09:01 PM
ok, I said 15 yellow lab fry......make that 18!!!!! They're coming out of nowhere!!! I hear its rare for a yellow lab to have so many her first time holding. Mine WOULD have so many her first time.....since I have absolutely nowhere to put them when they get bigger!!!! :? They are really cool to watch though since they are still "schooling"... one moves and all the rest follow. I guess I should start thinking about that 55 gallon I keep talking about and havent got off my rear end to get!!! :lol: