PDA

View Full Version : gravel to sand......

BrocksRex
04-18-2005, 05:54 AM
i am thiking about redoing the whole tank, as in putting sand at the bottom is it ok to just use play sand you get from homedepot? or is there speical sandi need?) . and putting some caves from pots, and plant life, drfitwood, make it more realistic....any help is greatly appreciated.:ok:

akil4fun
04-18-2005, 06:04 AM
play sand is great. just make sure you rinse it real good.

aharris
04-18-2005, 06:52 AM
Just be careful when you do this. By removing established tnak substrate, you can provoke a bacterial bloom because you are upsetting your tank's balance. A bacterial bloom will force you to have to re-cycle your tank again. If you do this, you'll want to take it slowly and change your substrate in stages instead of doing it all at once unless you have a place where you can put your fish if you do provoke a bloom.

Glaive
04-18-2005, 08:44 AM
What is your means of bio filtration?

Also to reduce the chance of a cycle you could toss in some smaller lava rock pieces which will swiftly establish prior to changing substrate... Then keep them for a couple/few weeks after the change...

BrocksRex
04-18-2005, 12:01 PM
What is your means of bio filtration?

To be completely honest, i have no idea what you mean.....

aharris
04-18-2005, 03:46 PM
What means of filtration do you have on the tank?

BrocksRex
04-18-2005, 05:22 PM
haha, im an idiot. just a regular filter, i think its like 190glph...i was thinking of getting an underground filter as well.....what do you think...

aharris
04-18-2005, 05:24 PM
With cichlids and undergravel is wasted because they'll just dig it up.

BrocksRex
04-18-2005, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by aharris
With cichlids and undergravel is wasted because they'll just dig it up.
that was my initial thought as well. so i figure ill just get another filter like ihave, itll make the water better, and stuff. i purchased the pool filter sand for my bottom, i am going to soak and clean it tonight if i have time.

aharris
04-18-2005, 05:59 PM
If you have a filter that hangs on the back, do what was suggested and buy some little chips of lava rock. Most of those HOB filters have extra space in the back that you can put extra filter media in.

Our tanks are mostly filtered by two types of bacteria that break down ammonia (made by our fish, poo and expiration) and then nitrite (made by the first bacteria eating the ammonia). The second kind of bacteria produces nitrate that isn't as toxic to fish. We remove the nitrate before it becomes poisonous to the fish by doing regular water changes of around 30-50% every week or two.

The bacteria that do these things don't just live in your filter though. They live on every available surface area in your tank including the top layers of your substrate, so when you remove your substrate to change it out, you're going to be removing a lot of good bacteria. It could potentially upset the entire balance of your tank causing the bacteria bloom I talked about risking the lives of your fish.

What you need to do is maybe get that extra filter, and get the extra media for the filter you already have running and give them a good two weeks or so to get seeded with bacteria before you change your substrates. Hopefully, you'll have enough biological filtration then to buffer against losing all the bacteria off your old substrate and avoid upsetting your balance and causing a recycle to your tank.

BrocksRex
04-19-2005, 03:49 PM
i bought a new filter today up tp 300gph. so i pretty much have a great filtration system ( i think) will leave about a week let bacteria grow, then do the sand swap....excited!!