PDA

View Full Version : I'M GONNA DO IT!!!!!! My WIFE GAVE THE OK!!!!

Colbaltking
02-13-2003, 07:10 PM
I've had the idea since seeing Mr4000 's site(if you have'nt seen it you should check it out) of building a large tank...I'ts early in it's planning now but the finished tank will be roughly 8ft x 4ft x 5ft..Thats 1200gallons!!I'm utilizing the back corner of my basement and pouring a 16 inch slab that will serve as the bottom of the tank..The back and the two side walls will also be formed up with cement( 12 inches thick). The front will be formed as well however two pieces of 1 inch acrylic will serve as a viewing window..The size of the window has yet to be determined...My best guess is 6 x 4...Production will start inApril/ May and continue until July/August...A friend of mine,(a plumber) is making the filter for me that will be set up in an adjacent room...We are currently conferring with people at the euclid chemical company to determine the best waterproof cement to use..The cement,once cured, will then be covered with a layer of marine epoxy...I aquired a large tree stump that was growing oddly on the side of a creek bank that will serve as the center-piece for the tank..I was going to post this last week but my wife was still up in the air with her consent...Just yesterday she gave me my valentines present by agreeing to the idea....I will post pictures every step of the way so everyone can see the production of my dream...The stump will be my first picture...It was cut early this evening and is being cleaned by a friend of my who has a high pressure hose...It will then be submerged in his pond so that it will be completly water -logged by the time we get ready to water test the tank...Believe it or not the whole procedure will cost less than 1000$$....That dosen't include the pieces of acrylic.. If any of the moderators read this can you tell me if I should post my project pics here or in a different section of the forum...
Wish me luck...Talk to ya soon

CichlidPete
02-13-2003, 07:19 PM
Sounds like an interesting project! I am thinking of doing a 500 in my basement.

I'd suggest putting the project in the DIY section.

Pete

WorldNation
02-13-2003, 07:33 PM
that is kick ass. gl on the project

Colbaltking
02-13-2003, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the well wishes Worldnation..

Pete...Are you thinking of using cement to make the 500g. If so, have you seen Mr4000's spread? His filter is unique...He uses a biological filter that employs a substance he calls miracle mud...Have you ever seen this and do you know if it will also work with a fresh water tank...

Marc

CichlidPete
02-13-2003, 08:31 PM
Marc

My cellar is 1/2 finished and has a bar, so I am gonna take down a section of the wall behind the bar...that way I can work on the tank from the back side. I was thinking of pouring a cement pedestal for the tank but decided that 4x4 construction would be plenty and allow for storage below.

I have seen the Mr. 4000 site and looked into the mud before but I don't remember much more about it.

Pete

Colbaltking
02-13-2003, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the reply...I'll keep everyone posted in the DIY section..
Marc

SGypsyMermaid
02-13-2003, 09:15 PM
drool...

merlyn2221
02-13-2003, 09:47 PM
8) Oh, Cobalt, man, I am soooo jealous! :mrgreen:

I live on a slab, so there's no hope of pouring any for me! :P

It sounds like a really awesome project! Hope you have great luck with it. I can't wait to see the pictures.

You better do something nice for your wife, too...just in case she might have second thoughts. :D I'm still trying to get my husband to agree to a 200 gallon setup in the living room, so I know the deal! :lol:

FishoPhile J
02-18-2003, 08:56 PM
drool...

:shock: that's the size of my bathroom :!: