PDA

View Full Version : "Dumbest Thing You've Done"

Jaguar4ws6
04-11-2005, 01:51 AM
Well, I guess I will be the first to start and let you guys know what's the dumbest thing I have done. I decided to clean my tank. I did a good size water change which was about 75% since it was about a month and half since I did it. Anyways cleaned the gravel with my Python and cleaned the water. It was taking longer then I thought it was and I was going to be late for work if I took my time. Well I hurried up and filled up the tank. "Now here comes the dumb part." I don't know what type of water conditioner you guys use, But I use Tetra's AquaSafe, which comes in a yellow bottle, which neutralizes chlorine, chloramines and toxic metals. I keep that underneath my tank in the stand. As some of you know Tetra also make another product called Tetra's Easy Balance which keeps the water balance, and helps keeps it clean, WHICH ALSO COMES IN A YELLOW IDENTICAL BOTTLE. Well I keep them both underneath the tank, and some of you might already have guessed, Without looking I grabed the "Easy Balance" Poured what I usualy pour for AquaSafe and took a Shower. When I came out, to my suprise..........:confused:
All of them dead. I had a breeding pair of Jags, Nice male RD and Albino Oscar and Breeding Pair of Texas'. :oops:
Hopefully I am not the only one to make a mistake :D

Jaguar4ws6
04-12-2005, 02:09 PM
LoL i guess im the only one

cichgirl
04-12-2005, 02:45 PM
LOL!!! Nope, you're not. We just don't like to brag about it! :dance:

All kidding aside, your mistake is pretty common. Don't feel bad.

The stupidest thing I've ever done is move a pleco from my dempsey juvie tank to my 150 without checking the net for stow-aways. I had the cutest little dempsey that I was growing out from fry and she got stuck in the net with the pleco. I dropped the pleco in the 150 and OOOPS! I saw my little girl swimming right for my 12" oscar without a care in the world. That oscar hadn't had a live meal in a couple of months and keyed right in. I did catch her, only because my oscar is scared of the net.

Chewy
04-12-2005, 07:36 PM
a very large blue lobster in with two of the largest oscars MY lfs had seen in a long time. (what an expensive dinner)

aharris
04-12-2005, 07:44 PM
Deciding that I wanted white sand in my 135g, I up and went to Lowe's, bought several bags of white silica sand-blasting sand, and spent the entire afternoon dredging the old play sand out of my 135g. I then spent the evening rinsing and adding the white silica to the same tank. I went to bed very pleased with my day's work and happily convinced that the faint cloud in my water would go awy overnight as the particles in the sand settled out. I woke up to even more cloudy water and felt the first stirrings of unease. I came home from work to even more cloudy water and gasping julidochromis that I quickly rescued and put in net breeders hanging off my 55g tank in the back room. Over the next serveral days the tank water in front achieved the opacity of milk and the smell of ammonia. I worsened the situation by making several 80-90% water changes in a desparate attempt to achieve some sort of balance. During all this fiasco, I received a $200+ dollar shipment of fish intended to go in that tank along with the julidochromis. Thankfully, I had an established filter and a recently dumpster-dived 29g I could set up as temporary quarters to accomodate the new arrivals while I waited for the monster bacterial bloom to subside. Those were an uncomfortable set of weeks!

Rockriverfish
04-12-2005, 08:04 PM
The dumbest thing I ever did (over and over again) was thinking ... just one more tank will be enough to keep me happy.

The next dumbest was forgeting to secure one of those little clips on my canister filter after cleaning it. Unfortunately, the seal held just long enough for me to close the doors on the cabinet stand and leave the room. I came back in an hour later, and half the tank (a 90 gallon) had siphoned onto the carpet.

Glaive
04-13-2005, 09:34 AM
Hmmm dumbest thing way back in the day, forgot to rinse store bought coated gravel.....

As for teh two simular colored bottles I would put a strip of velcro on one so you have a blind proof setup.

MNCichlid
04-14-2005, 07:14 AM
I guess dropping the light unit with the power on will not electrocute the fish. I did that while cleaning. I was pretty startled, as my siphoned water sarting pouring on the floor as I desperately pulled it out of the water.

Almost completely forgot to replug in my heaters after cleaning.