PDA

View Full Version : oscars jack and green terror

JoeZ
04-03-2005, 03:24 PM
if i get an albino oscar, a tiger oscar, a jack dempsey, and a green terror in a 110 gallon will they fight? :confused:

Vip
04-03-2005, 11:12 PM
I think the GT will cause a amount of trouble in the tank.

cichgirl
04-04-2005, 06:10 AM
That might be one large cichlid too many......

JoeZ
04-04-2005, 01:16 PM
what about 1 tiger oscar a jack dempsey, and a green terror?

cichgirl
04-06-2005, 06:53 AM
They'll probably still fight, all cichlids do. You may run into trouble down the road if two fish can't sort out who's boss. What are your tank dimensions? You need at least a 4 foot tank (at least 18 inches wide) and lots of decorations & caves to pull it off. I'd probably also add a bunch of silver dollars.

cichgirl
04-06-2005, 06:54 AM
... although I think Vip may be right that your GT will cause some trouble. Keep an eye on the gt if you want to keep him.

JoeZ
04-06-2005, 01:07 PM
is there another cichlid that will eat feeder fish that wont fight with the oscar and jack dempsey?

also whats so great about silver dollars, I had four in my 55 and they were very territorial to the other silver dollars and towards other fish

...._............................................. ................................................
|\/ o\
|/\__/

SuperDave9x19
04-07-2005, 06:16 AM
I think the most important thing is to throw in caves and Line of Sight Obstacles.

Man when i transitionned from A beautifully planted Charachin tank to "Same tank with West African Cichlids" to "Cichlids only" to "larger cichlids" on a budget, I have been using mason Jars, flower pots and coffee cups to break off regions.

Tacky, yet peacefull.

Just got some GE Silicone 1 to cover the outside of tacky stuff with rocks and pebbles, but fish love coffee mugs, tacky or not. I had a lovely salad bowl in for a while, but the Nic trapped the cats under it.

cichgirl
04-07-2005, 07:31 AM
Definately lots of hiding places. :)

Yes, silver dollars will fight amongst themselves, that's what they do. You need at least 4 or 5 to make it work well. The good thing about them is they add plenty of movement in the tank which will distract the larger fish from zeroing in on eachother constantly. It'll still happen & you'll still have scuffles, but the silver dollars work as "targets" helping to spread out aggression between all the fish as opposed to two bullies relentlessly picking on your "weakest" cichlid.

JoeZ
04-07-2005, 01:41 PM
does it matter what size the silver dollars are?

cichgirl
04-07-2005, 02:05 PM
just big enough so they don't fit in your fish's mouths.

JoeZ
04-07-2005, 03:45 PM
im not the biggest fan on silver dollars, I dont mine them but Id rather do without them.
Its kind of a tie between the texas cichlid and the green terror, I've heard the GT's can be pretty mean, but ive also heard that about the texas cichlid too. People said to me a jack dempsey would get along with a texas more than a green terror, and then I heard the opposite. Which fish would you think that would get in less fights with a jack dempsey and an oscar, a green terror or a texas cichlid? :nervous:

Alv
04-07-2005, 04:38 PM
Hi JoeZ i have the exact same size tank and setup with some extra cichlids.

I have a 11" Red Oscar, 6.5" male Jack Dempsey, 6.5" female Green Terror, 5" female Flowerhorn, 2"Firemouth, and breeding pair of cons.
It all works well and possibly better in a 5foot? My tank is a corner unit.

I would forget trying to get a male GT they are just too aggressive i had a pair of green terrors(gave the male awya lack of tank space at the time) and the brilliant male i had killed a jaguar, pair of cons and ripped apart a trimac. I am actually suprised these fish are not classed as very aggressive because the experience i've had with them makes my breeding pair of red terrors look alot less aggressive.

JoeZ
04-07-2005, 05:38 PM
huh, i dont know what to do. Its a hard decision

Alv
04-08-2005, 12:44 AM
Go ahead and try it.

cichgirl
04-08-2005, 06:47 AM
Ever heard of a chocolate cichlid? They are less aggressive & very beautiful. Check them out.

I agree that you could and probably should also add smaller cichlids like cons and firemouths. If you don't want silver dollars they would also serve the same purpose (and would require more actual territories. I would stay away from fish that will claim at least half of your tank, like a male gt or texas. The problem is oscars are fairly peaceful. If your tank isn't big enough you could end up with a more aggressive fish picking on your oscar constantly because they don't hide and will be in someone's territory all the time. They can look mean but they back down quickly when picked on. It really all depends on the dimensions of your tank and the personality of the fish you decide on.

Go through the gallery and see if you find anything you like. I'm not saying that a gt will be a nightmare, I'm just saying a male will "probably" cause some problems. Alv's advice on getting a female gt is good advice. If you want a gt, go for a female.

JoeZ
04-08-2005, 05:49 PM
if you were in my position what kind of fish would you get including an oscar and jack dempsey?

cichgirl
04-11-2005, 06:58 AM
I would probably get firemouths to go with them and probably a chocolate cichlid because I've wanted one for a while... I always have silver dollars kicking around in other tanks. That's just the dynamic I'm going for with my current oscars and dempseys.

JoeZ
04-11-2005, 01:08 PM
i already made a desicion