PDA

View Full Version : OOOPS!!!! I did it again. New Pike and GT

SuperDave9x19
03-30-2005, 07:01 AM
How do people in this hobby maintain their self control? My tank, for the past year or so, has been in a state of excellence with a properly balanced crowd. Perhaps a little crowded, but everyone who sees the tank always show interest in my fish. They are in excellent condition to my eye.

I love my tank.

But over this past month, while buying my fish some guppies, i found 2 excellent buys that I purchased at risk to the fish and to my tank. I know... Why mess with what is working... I couldn't resist.

I must say, after a month with the GT and a week with the Pike, each is happily cruising the tank, feeding well, and establishing their heirarchy fairly peacefully.

http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/5491/cametanapage.html

Above is the link to the species of Pike Cichlid that I believe Spike conforms to.

Attached is a picture of Spike. est Length 4" (to caudal penduncle. not total length)

SuperDave9x19
03-30-2005, 07:03 AM
I catch him as he's about to get into his cave(s) typically but he doesn't seem to be a "hopping pike" who settles on the ground a lot. when he swims he swims and is no doubt one of the coolest acting fish I have had.

Another pic

SuperDave9x19
03-30-2005, 07:04 AM
And the Green Terror, who is cute, yet nowhere near as cool. Look at size diff and realize that my Nick male is a fairly kind tank patriarch.

But be assured, he is The Man in this tank, except during heavy courtship, then little Nicky makes him bow down to her feminine wiles.

josh_shilling
03-30-2005, 07:17 AM
Very nice finds.

SuperDave9x19
03-30-2005, 07:18 AM
Thanx.

another of Spike.

The red in fin gets a bit washed out by flash, but a non flash picture just is terrible.

Vip
03-30-2005, 09:05 AM
lol that GT looks like a fry to that nick!

SuperDave9x19
03-30-2005, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Vip
lol that GT looks like a fry to that nick!

You should see those 2 on feeding sprees.

Both love Tetra Min Tropical Crisps. The GT doesn't slack off during feeding, but if Nick is going for the same crispy flake the GT is, the GT submits to a distance of about 4-6" away, then faces Nick down.

Hope he don't take it too far, but the little GT was dull and listless alone in my 39 gal tank.

vniem618
04-05-2005, 02:35 PM
Nice color on the GT already.

highplainsdrifter
04-08-2005, 05:44 PM
Great looking fish Superdave. Looks to me like Spike, is a she. The red in the dorsal and the ocellus on the dorsal are typical female markings of Crenicichla.

That nic is mammoth; is it flaring at young gt? If so, the brave gt has his fins raised in the face of an enormous adversary!