PDA

View Full Version : Paranoid about over feeding.

jnorris
02-10-2003, 10:55 PM
I feed my fish a mixture of Krill, Daphnia, brine shrimp twice a week (one small cube per tank). The cubes are small and not everyone gets tons of it. The rest is spirulina and then I don't feed them much on mondays.

Some of my smaller Tangs wont eat spirulina (Ocellatus and Julies).

I haven't had any deaths for a while none due to bloat (I don't think).

What does everyone think, is this too much? I never feed them this all at once and I do small portions at once.

My nitrates and ammonia never spike...

SGypsyMermaid
02-11-2003, 04:39 AM
your tangs should be getting more protein--they don't have the veggie requirement of tropheus, petrochromis, or furcifers. yours are more the meat-eating variety.

matt1066
02-11-2003, 04:57 PM
What do you have besides tangs?

jnorris
02-11-2003, 11:41 PM
It is just Tangs in that tank. In the Malawi tank, mainly Alonocara, Cats and some Pseudotropeus.

In the Tang tank I have a 7" Frontosa and (2) 4" - 6.5" Comp. The Frontosa and Comp seem to get most of the protein. The Comp is a food hog, which is contrary to what I have seen online from sites and what people say. Before I started having to actually disolve the food in a glass first he would take the whole frozen cube at once (talk about an ice cream headache).

All in all I have counted 55 fish in both tanks combined. I usaually feed them twice a day (when I am not running late in the morning as usual).

The fish are much bigger (on average) in the Malawi tank so I do feed them more. One fish will eat an entire cube if you don't disolve it.

Regardless food is gone in both tanks quickly. They go on a frenzy and its all gone. Actually I wonder thow the catfish find things to eat sometimes.

I guess I shouldn't be too worried until one of my fish get bloat. I have had one possible case a month ago, but it was only one fish (female alonocara)