PDA

View Full Version : Rubber Hose

garyl
03-14-2005, 10:46 AM
Need some advice. Just wondering if it is safe to use rubber hoses to hook up pumps from a wet/dry sump back to the tank?
Is the rubber hose fish safe? Any advise would be appreciated.

jonah
03-14-2005, 11:01 AM
I don't know if it is or not. I do know that many garden hoses are treated with an anti algae chemical to keep them from clogging up. That alone would make me avoid using them. I'd get some drinking water safe hose from Home Depot or Lowes. They sell it for plumbing ice machines and water purifiers.

garyl
03-15-2005, 03:19 PM
Thanks for the reply Jonah. I tried Home Depot but they only had 1/2 inch and I needed 5/8 inch. I think I may be chasing the wrong horse here. On my return from the overflow box I used a piece of 1 1/4 inch corrugated pool filter hose and I'm not sure but since this hose sits out in the sun it may be treated like the garden hose so I removed it. I will see what happens now.
I lost four clown loaches because of this but my Fronts seem OK for now. I will let you know so nobody else makes the same mistake if thats it?

Glaive
03-16-2005, 09:47 AM
Can't you get the proper polyvinyl tubing at home depot? something that will go over barbs snugly?