PDA

View Full Version : plants for biological filtration?

barristan
03-04-2005, 10:26 PM
I am considering replacing my sump (15 gallon rubbermaid container) with a new design.
It is pretty much useless as it stands right now other than increasing my water volume by ~15 gallons, housing my heaters and I suppose doing a little to help filter.

My new plan is to use three 5-gallon buckets like so.
I thought that maybe the plants would be better than bio-balls.
I always wanted to give the reverse light cycle approach a shot.

Heyguy74
03-05-2005, 02:03 PM
I'd still keep the bioballs but you could try a floating plant like water sprite. The bioballs have more surface area, than any plants will have.

agez
03-05-2005, 05:18 PM
yeah id also keep the balls and add valinsera (spelling wrong), some anubius, and some java moss(keep it tied up or it goes everywhere n spreads like cancer!). these will eat nitrites at a noticable volume

Glaive
03-05-2005, 09:38 PM
keep the bio balls in the middle and go for a lot of plants in the last chamber where they will get the nitrates first

chc
03-06-2005, 07:33 AM
Another good plant to use is red mangrove (the only readily available magrove that does well in fresh water). They are clean (don't break up and clog stuff like mosses, etc.) and are great at removing toxic chemicals as well as nitrates, etc. Also, they can rigged in a piece of styrofoam (they need only their roots under water) so they can rise and fall with the water level.

barristan
03-06-2005, 10:33 AM
don't they get really big?

chc
03-06-2005, 10:23 PM
Not in a home aquarium. You can definitely trim them if necessary, but we're talking something like a foot high max most of the time.