PDA

View Full Version : putting life into a 55gal

kevin james
02-07-2003, 10:50 AM
i intend on setting up a 55gal tank for cichlids,
my goal is to see, a lot of colors, activity, and watch nature take it`s course in my living room.
Equipment on hand: tank stand, emporer 400, fluval404, heater, and have made a choice to go with crushed coral 7 out 10 pet shops i`ve seen have c-coral instead of dolomite. oh lid with lite, background,powder type ph up and buffer. how do you guy`s feel about bullseye product to cut to the cycling process? how does one tell the male from the female in drawf cichlids? and how does one know if they are getting good quality fish?
any suggestions would be welcome. the pet stors want to sell there products............thanks kj

tom
02-07-2003, 03:23 PM
Hi Kevin, and welcome

I've split your post from its place as an addition in a Tanganyika thread so that, alone, it might better elicit replies.

SGypsyMermaid
02-08-2003, 01:29 PM
powder type ph up and buffer. how do you guy`s feel about bullseye product to cut to the cycling process? how does one tell the male from the female in drawf cichlids? and how does one know if they are getting good quality fish?
any suggestions would be welcome. the pet stors want to sell there products............thanks kj

you've got a lot of questions packed in this post. :) i'll try to address them. i would stay away from the ph up...that is intended more for use as an emergency corrective tool rather than as a regular ph maintenance tool. if you want to use additives, try some of the various brands of rift lake salts, instead. instead of using a product to kick-start the cycling process, i would suggest obtaining some filter media and/or gravel from an established tank. regarding sexing dwarf cichlids...it depends on the species. the differences vary from species to species. as far as being able to tell if you're getting good quality fish--that will probably come with experience. healthy fish will eat, swim, fins will stand up, etc.

jnorris
02-08-2003, 02:08 PM
I personally use both Tanganyikan and Malawi Buffer made by Seachem. I also use the aforementioned Cichlid Lake Salts mixed with Dr Wellfish Aquarium Salts.

Ph UP is not nearly as good as these products. You can also use crushed coral in your filters to achieve the same effect.

The instructions are clear and you definately should follow them exactly.

It seems to be a good product according to how healthy my fish are. I have only lost one fish in 8 months of using it.

For the dwarf cichlids the best way to tell adults (this is a genralization) is by size. Females tend to be smaller than males. THIS DEPENDS ON THE SPECIES HOWEVER and even then it is not always true.

Which Dwarf species are you refering to?

Jonathan