PDA

View Full Version : Sand Substrate?

thmandan22
02-05-2003, 11:43 PM
hey i was wondering what you guys thought of sand substrate? i think it looks nice but have no personal expeirence. is it good ? or bad?
here is a link of what i might get: http://www.aquariumpros.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=APG&Product_Code=CAS00820&Category_Code=SBsw

if you know any good fish stores can you send a link, thanks dan

jonah
02-06-2003, 05:31 AM
I used to use only gravel in my tanks because I thought sand would be a pain for cleaning and on my filters, but after trying it on my first Neo. multifasciatus tank I started setting up all of my tanks with sand. It wasn't nearly the trouble I thought it would be. It's cheap too. :wink:

Adam
02-08-2003, 06:26 PM
The only trouble is cleaning it. I hate sand because of it, yet I use it all the time. The first tank I put it in, it turned everything orange, and I have to import my water from my grandparent's house, and so that meant another trip there, but thankfully i only had the 75 a quarter filled when it turned it orange. I had to clean it all again. What a mess that was.

jonah
02-08-2003, 07:37 PM
The only trouble is cleaning it. I hate sand because of it, yet I use it all the time. The first tank I put it in, it turned everything orange, and I have to import my water from my grandparent's house, and so that meant another trip there, but thankfully i only had the 75 a quarter filled when it turned it orange. I had to clean it all again. What a mess that was.

How does sand turn everything orange? The color in the water goes away in a few days when the sand settles. You can minimize the clouding by pouring the water into a plate on the sand with the water going really slowly. The water overflows the plate and drips onto the sand.

Did your sand have some kind of dye in it? :confused:

Adam
02-08-2003, 08:00 PM
It didn't have any dye in it. It was just completely filled with tiny sediment, and I suctioned it all out, and so now it's very clear. It looked like some of those rivers you see in africa that people were drinking out of. The fish in malawi are better fed than the people.

PostGhosty
02-10-2003, 07:53 AM
We didn't have any discoloration, or settling problem with the sand we put in our 75 gallon. And actually it cleans up quite well.