PDA

View Full Version : Water Testing Supplies

merlyn2221
02-05-2003, 09:44 PM
Anyone else have this situation? It's driving me crazy.:shock:

I use test strips and liquid test kits to get an average reading for my water conditions, but the two readings are so far off sometimes it makes me wonder which one is accurate. Not to mention that doing this is expensive!
I use mostly AquaPharm liquid chemicals and sometimes SeaChem's liquids, too, and I make sure they are dated or I don't buy them.
I use Mardel's AquaLabs or Jungle test strips. Today I did a test just for the fun of it, but it's not funny. Here are my respective readings for all the test kits/strips I have.
pH: AP 8.0, SC 8.2, Mardel 8.2, Jungle 8.4
Ammonia: AP 0ppm, SC 0ppm, Mardel .25ppm Jungle 0ppm
Nitrites: AP 0ppm, SC 0ppm, Mardel 0ppm, Jungle 0ppm
Nitrates: AP 0ppm, SC 0ppm, Mardel 20ppm, Jungle 0ppm

I am saving for a digital monitor, but don't know enough about them yet. I know that they have to be calibrated, but that's about it. I just started to check them out, so any info would be helpful.

thmandan22
02-09-2003, 07:01 PM
I know what your talking about, At Petco (my LFS) they test my water and it said that my ph amonia and nitites where high i test it it says my nitates are high and my ph is low ? its crazy you want to do somthing but you dont know which way to go or which test to trust. i just go for somthing like aquarium salt that promotes well being.
-Dan

matt1066
02-14-2003, 08:43 PM
I've used many test kits, and if you dont want to spend the $ for Lamottes.

Redsea has given me the best results, I compared it to a sample I sent to The Univ of Florida extension service for analysis-almost right on the button.

Your water company can send you their state tested analysis of your tap water, then you can compare it to the results you get with your test supplies; this will give you a good idea on how accurate your testing is.

Make sense, rambled a bit :roll:

Matt

crickett
02-15-2003, 03:38 PM
I use AP liquid test kits mainly because they are what is widely available. I am mainly concerned with testing my tap water these days rather than my tank water however. Having been used to doing big weekly water changes of 50% on all my tanks with a python, I did so a couple weeks ago only to find my fish suddenly all breathing hard. After testing the tank water it tested for nitrite. Well, it turned out the tap water was suddenly showing .50 nitrite and has ever since. So now I do smaller water changes and use Prime and add salt to all my tanks to prevent nitrite poisoning. Since doing the smaller changes and using the Prime I have had no problems but I had 2 rainbowfish actually die---and my tanks were fine before the water change. After 2 yrs. of never noticing a problem with my tap water I now pay attention let me tell you. I didnt realize that the tap water could have nitrite and nitrate or even ammonia in it already! But by 24 hrs. my biofilter has taken care of it anyway and it has cycled so it is not such a big problem I guess. I do wonder if I should do more frequent water changes now or not, I was used to the large water changes?? Anyone?

merlyn2221
02-15-2003, 04:42 PM
Thanks all for the feedback. Never thought about the water company having the numbers. I will definately check that out.

I test the tap water before I do a water change, because around here (4 miles from the beach) the chemistry changes often, especially when the tourist season hits. They put so many additives in, it can be really crazy.

Guess I'll just go back to using my tap water filter that takes [i:e828f09f26]everthing[/i:e828f09f26] out of it, then be like a chemist and add stuff back in. :?

matt1066
02-16-2003, 05:21 PM
Cricket,

Call your water company, you should have ZERO nitrites out of your tap.

Merlyn, what kind of tap water filter do you have?
The only ones I have seen need repalcing after 100 gals or so $$$$

Thanks,

Matt

merlyn2221
02-17-2003, 11:47 AM
I have the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Tap Water Filter. It does get a bit expensive, but I get the replacement cartriges for around $25 online with the chemicals. It's a pain, I'll admit, but it is cheaper than RO at this time.

My tap water is hard with a hugh amount of phosphates, so down the line I'll have to think of something else, but for now it will have to do.