PDA

View Full Version : Water conditioners and affect on ph

ebnash
02-05-2003, 11:42 AM
I did a ph test against my tap water , and my conditioned tap water and noticed my ph dropped. Straight out of the tap, ph is 8.0 and after water conditioner is added it drops to 7.8. Are there any good water conditoners out there that do not affect ph. I am also not even sure if my tap water has cholorine. I have a master test kit at home but does not include chlorine test. I would like to know if I even need to use water conditioner. How do I test for chlorine?

WorldNation
02-05-2003, 12:04 PM
most water doe shave chlorine in it. unles sya live in a rich neighborehoiod and youre building/house/condow whatever has its filtration unit some where.

I believe Am Quel doesnt effect ph. It doesnt when i use it on my tank.

ebnash
02-05-2003, 12:22 PM
Unfortunately Amquel is what I did the test with.

matt1066
02-05-2003, 06:56 PM
You might want to test your tank water PH before the change see what you get :)

If your PH in the tank is on the acid side( and I mean more acid than 8.0)

That might be the cause. If your not gravel vacuuming your tank water will go to the acid side. Always remember that when you have living things in your tank the water will always be more acid than your baseline PH, unless you have a good buffer in place.

I like Redsea test kits, always had accurate results. I found out the hard way, but dont have the energy to hunt/peck my way through the story :lol:

I use Seachem prime never found it lowered PH, Genesis also worked well for me.

Hope that helps,

Matt

jnorris
02-05-2003, 10:08 PM
Amquel drops PH signifigantly. I did trials with an electronic PH monitor and it drops a lot. FYI

jnorris
02-05-2003, 10:10 PM
Most conditioners do.....just use the required buffer...wait a few hours before you test for this...

ebnash
02-09-2003, 04:56 PM
I do use a buffer. I have a 55 gal tank with 40 lbs. of crushed coral as a substrate and I also have crushed coral in the extra basket of my emperor hang on filter. Not sure why I would have any ph problems when my tap is 8.0. I also was able to find a chlorine test and found that my tap water, strangely enough, does not contain chlorine. I tested 3 times to be sure.