PDA

View Full Version : floor is not level I think :(

contoursvt
02-17-2005, 08:56 PM
I picked up a second tank - 75 gallon. Lengthwise there is a 5mm or 1/2 cm difference in level of water and front to back is also 5mm. Basically the tank is like leaning forward 5mm and one side is higher 5mm because of the slant of the floor.

How bad is that and what can I shim it with? Would putting too much of a shim put side load on the cheapo thin welded square tube stand and cause it to break the welds? Can I leave the tank the way it is? As long as the tank itself is safe, I dont care about 5mm at the moment.

contoursvt
02-17-2005, 09:43 PM
actually its probably closer to 1/8" or so in each direction that its un even. Front to back and side to side

OwassoFish
02-17-2005, 10:00 PM
Does the metal stand contact the floor on the 4 corners only or does it contact the floor the entire length and depth of the stand?

If it only contacts on the corners it may be difficult to shim. As you lift one foot up, another foot my not touch the ground. Kinda like every restaurant table you sit at! :rolleyes:

contoursvt
02-17-2005, 10:18 PM
It only contacts the floor on 4 corners but it is sitting on a carpetted floor. I put a quarter under each leg that was uneven which did nothing at all of course. I thought since the quarter might be slightly bigger in diameter than the leg of the stand, that it may have less 'push' against the soft carpet and cause the tank to tilt towards the desired direction... but I guess 800lbs of tank is not going to care about a quarter :)

OwassoFish
02-17-2005, 10:30 PM
I suppose you could play around with it doing the same thing with larger pieces of shim material. What I would make sure and watch out for is the metal bending and not making continuous contact with the bottom edge of the aquarium across it's length. If that happened you could use penny's as shims underneath the tank edges for support.

z rock
02-17-2005, 11:14 PM
On some metal stands the pads on bottom are threaded and will screw in and out.

If not the stand will need to be leveled. You can get shims at a hardware store that sells doors, they have shims in that area. You can tap the shims in a little at a time with a hammer. Pry it up with a screw driver to get the shim started. Once the tank is level you bust off the excess.

Draining the tank some would make this process easier. Obviously!

I highly advise having some styrofoam or padding between a metal stand and the tank.

contoursvt
02-17-2005, 11:43 PM
I will do that - put styrafoam. When I had purchased my 100 gallon, they came and installed it and put 1/2" thick foam under the tank but when I was buying this 75 gallon, they said its not necessary. I was like "are you sure... my 100 is setup that way". They said that new tanks with raised bottoms dont have to have foam but I still think I feel safer doing it the old school way. Makes more sense. I'm sure a cheap tank and a cheap stand cannot be 100% perfect so some areas are going to have more pressure than others I'm sure.

Right now the tank is a Quarantine tank for my large oscar. As soon as he's back on his feet, I will empty the tank and set it up correctly. It will end up being home for some large angels and large congo tetras and a pair of gold rams.

z rock
02-18-2005, 07:38 AM
Styrofoam would help insulate the bottom. It would use less energy and maintain a more stable temperature.

I think it was here the other day someone posted pics of a 55g the back had busted out of. They were using a metal stand. Sometimes those things aren't made just right and they bow like crazy.